Tein street basics coilovers on a ch3

jbarrera91

Reaction score
New to forum. I recently installed tein street basics coilovers on my cg3. I went to shop to get control arms replaced. The Mechanic told me that my coilovers were bad, that my spring should never be loose on or off the ground. This would be my first set of coilovers ive ever bought. Any ideas on why this is happening and how can it be fixed? Thank you

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
with the way the teins adjust the height of the car, you raise or lower the spring perches, which raises or lowers the spring. depending on where you set them for your desired ride height, the spring could be loose once you jack up the car and the suspension fully extends. some companies sell their coilovers with helper springs, which expand to keep the spring secure when you jack up the car. they fully compress once there is weight on the suspension, so they don't really affect the ride at all. i think i've heard that tein sells them separately, so you could contact them and ask about it.

not having them isn't a terrible problem, plenty of people have ran teins without them. not having the helper springs isn't going to hurt anything, just make sure the springs are lined up properly before you put the car back on the ground. mechanics will complain about anything.

Last edited:

jbarrera91

Reaction score
Ok, having mix emotions lol. I contacted tein and this is what they told me

Hello Julian,

From what it sounds like, it may just be a ride height issue. Can you please provide us with the ride height measurement by measuring from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender well opening? Or, if you can measure the lower spring seat (for adjusting ride height) and its distance from the bottom of the threaded sleeve, we can try to determine what your ride height is. Also, please provide us with the part number from the front springs.

Technically, the mechanics are correct- your springs should not be loose when the vehicle is off the ground, or basically when the suspension is fully extended. This can cause several problems, with the main one being the spring unseating and causing damage to the spring seat and even the upper mount assembly.

We don't recommend extremely low ride heights for daily use. Our adjustable ride height is allowed to achieve low ride heights for show purposes only. We recommend following our installation manual's recommended ride height instructions for daily use.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Interesting. My GC springs are only 8" so they always sit loose when I jack the car up, there is no way for them not to be. I always just lower the car slowly and I've never had an issue the few years I've been running them. Post a photo if you can.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Technically, the mechanics are correct- your springs should not be loose when the vehicle is off the ground, or basically when the suspension is fully extended. This can cause several problems, with the main one being the spring unseating and causing damage to the spring seat and even the upper mount assembly.

Then they should include the helper spring with their product, I'm running them with no issues and I have them maxed out with the front collars removed and as Redryder stated I do the exact same thing just lower it slowly and watch the spring as it seats. What they sent you kinda pisses me off, when you buy coilovers they should work in their full range of adjustment properly! Maybe its just me getting upset over nothing.

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
that email sounds like the beginning of a headache. unless you plan on jumping your car, this isn't really going to cause any problems for you. i had two different sets of coilover sleeves on my first accord that were like this as well, i never had any issues. see what that mechanic has started? :lawl:

jbarrera91

Reaction score
Re: Tein street basics coilovers on a cg3*

Yea, its been a headache since i found out. Idk,. I am debating if i should just leave them like that or replace them, since i am planning on getting a newer car next year.

Back