HELP!! My Engine Eats Oil!!!!

AccordNV

Reaction score
Okay, so i bought my 2000 LX from a dealer in November. About 4k miles later the engine light comes on. My buddy uses the OBD II to find out its a P1259. Do some research, and find out most likely low oil. Check the oil, and its not even on the dip stick So my buddy puts 2 quarts in just so it hits the dip stick! He does a full oil change, puts in 4 3/4 quarts, up to the top hole. Put the car up on the lift and said theres no leak. Under carriage is dry as can be. That was a week and a half ago. i checked it this morning and its just under the bottom hole. I'm not a car guy by any means, but i know it shouldnt be using that much oil. i read on a thread that i may have to get the pistons re-ringed. can anyone help me out? is that what i will most likely have to do? oh and theres no warranty left. i only went with the 30 day one since hondas are notorious for lasting forever with no problems.

2000 Accord LX 4dr
91, 081 miles
2.3l V-Tec
5-Speed Manual Trans

silverbullet99

Reaction score
my aunt had a similar problem about two months ago with her 2000 lx 5spd coupe with somewhere around 90k miles. she actually drove it with no oil for who knows how many weeks and never had the check engine light come on. it wasn't until she brought it in for a timing belt that the tech noticed it had no oil. I can't remember exactly what she said the problem was because she couldn't really remember when she told me, but it had something to do with the oil filter area being messed up. she ended up spending like 1200 bucks to have it fixed (including the price of the timing belt/water pump). I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem so if you can't figure it out, I'd just bring it to your local honda dealer and have them look at it.

"He does a full oil change, puts in 4 3/4 quarts, up to the top hole."
i REALLY hope your buddy didn't fill it all the way up to the top, otherwise you're going to have even more problems down the road. you only need 4 1/2 quarts.

AccordNV

Reaction score
"He does a full oil change, puts in 4 3/4 quarts, up to the top hole."
i REALLY hope your buddy didn't fill it all the way up to the top, otherwise you're going to have even more problems down the road. you only need 4 1/2 quarts.

No i watched while he did it. it took that much to hit the top hole of the dip stick. he thought that was weird too.

silverbullet99

Reaction score
ohhh haha i thought you meant he filled it to the top of the fill hole in the valve cover, not the hole in the dipstick haha, my bad bro.

99F23VTech

Reaction score
i do believe if you are burning oil because of the rings you would see some blue smoke out your tail while driving? I could be wrong but i do think that is what you would notice.... But if there is no oil under the car, and no visible leaks on the ground and what not you probably are burning oil by it bypassing the rings on the piston...

Also do you notice any oil residue on top of the car? I knew a lady who drove a VW without a dipstick for some 3k miles or so maybe more. and when she finally bought the dipstick she had absolutley no oil and you could see the oil on top of the engine it was like residue, and all over the underneath of her hood...

madmech_79

Reaction score
I would check to see if it is smoking, also the exhaust will smell like burnt oil. Check your radiator to see if oil is getting in there. Most likely the car was owned by a teenager who thought it was a race car and wore the rings out, if thats the case id be shopping for a new engine. If funds are unlimmited this could be a good time have the engine rebuilt with some goodies. Sorry to hear your problems, most hondas are very reliable but you need to keep up with the oil changes.

finch13

Reaction score
If headgasket wouldn't you see some kind of oil leak? just curious?

Yes, you would. There were either be oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, due to the two mixing as a result of a failed headgasket.

I'm leaning more towards worn rings or cylinder sleeves.

Back