Engine rebuild?

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
1999 Accord LX V6
160,000 Miles

I'm finding it hard to save up for a new car, but I am thinking about getting an engine rebuild and going from there...

Nothing is wrong with my car now, a year ago my transmission went out in the matter of 3 days and I got that rebuild. My rear main seal blew and got that fixed. I replaced my front struts and put new CV Axels on the front cause they were blown.

Full rebuild the whole works, and a possible 5-speed swap with it all.

Any thoughts?

Pros or cons to it?

Should I replace my oil pan with the rebuild? I'm going to replace my timing belt for sure with the rebuild.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
First of all if nothing is wrong with the car now, then I'd save your money. Don't fix what ain't broke. Also for the V6 your thinking of the 6-speed swap I'm assuming, not 5-speed.

As far as pros and cons, I have a newly rebuilt motor with around 5-6k miles on it since the rebuild, and I can honestly say, it just does not run like it did when it was all factory. Doesn't run BAD, just not as smooth. I would definitely go for the 6-speed swap if thats an option for you. I have a 4 cylinder and I'm dying for a 5-speed swap. Can't stand this crappy auto trans. It is honestly the only thing keeping me from more serious engine modifications.

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
Well my thought is that I want to do the auto to *6-speed swap soon and thought I would get my engine rebuilt at the same time. I would rather rebuild it now before something does go wrong. Instead of waiting till its blown. I run my car pretty hard, I know people may rip on me but I do and I probably wont change the way I drive it.. So yeah :)

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So why rebuild it, if it doesn't need it? I could see if you were doing some performance stuff to the block/heads but if you're not, it's kinda pointless if its running fine. Wait till a headgasket blows or something.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Slim chance anything would go wrong with a J30, it's an overbuilt tank. Only way it will break is if it's severely abused/not taken care of. Save your money for the tranny swap, you're going to need it.

Last edited:

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
I feel as if it would be better to do the rebuild in a few months rather then wait for something to go wrong, plus I could do the tranny swap at the same time and a dyno tune at the shop with the rebuilt motor. Also might thrown in a wire tuck while the engine is out. :lolrun:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Well if you're gonna 6MT swap it too... It probably be worth it. But why the rebuild? Just throw in type s cams while you're at it and call it a day.

Back