DIY: Clean your IACV

CHID0

Reaction score
Damnit....i've been slackin on editing the video. Pics would be horrible which is why i decided on video. I'll get it out asap. ;)

dynasty

Reaction score
forget editing it. wing it with the original non-cut edit version. bahaha

thecrown59

Reaction score
for V6: #2

13S840_E0101.gif

for i4: #9

13S840_E01-1.gif

I just did this on my v6.. worked like a charm.. but my tranny is still slipping, gonna flush out my tranny fluid tonight

Last edited:

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
IACV = Idle Air Control Valve

The function of the IACV a.k.a. Idle Air Control Valve is to adjust the idle based upon the amount of air entering the engine, then the computer reacts to this information by adjusting the cars rpm.

Why should I clean my IACV?
If you that have an erratic, fluctuating, or lumpy idle or if you have high idle after your car warms up. Or if the problem has been present for a long time, the car may stall sporadically at idle.

Tools Needed:
Small 1/4” ratchet socket wrench
10mm socket
Needle nose pliers
New IACV gasket (Honda part# 36461-PAA-A01)
Carb cleaner
Old rag to absorb over flow from removing the coolant hoses
Misc tools (to remove intake hose)

Step One: The idle air control valve (IACV) is mounted on the rear of the intake manifold (IM) near the throttle body (TB). You'll have to remove the intake hose at the throttle body to gain clearance to the rear of the IM.

Step Two: There are two 10mm screws attaching the IACV to the IM, one at the top that is partially visible and the other is lower and out of view. You'll have to feel your way back there and remove that bolt. Remove the gray plug on the right side of the IACV.

Step Three: Remove the blue plug on the TB. With the needle nose pliers,at the TB end, pull back the clamp and remove the coolant hose attaching the IACV to the TB. At this point the IACV has enough slack to pull out from behind the IM & TB. Now pull the IACV out into the void left by the intake piping. Remove the last two hoses, there is one with a clamp and one without. Viola the IACV is free.

Step Four: With the IACV in hand remove the gasket and toss it. Look at all the schmootz in the valve. Spray the IACV vigorously with the carb cleaner, cause as you can see it's very clogged and probably has tons of carbon buildup.

Step Five: Let it dry completely, then put the new gasket on and connect the two hoses, install the two bolts, connect the coolant line to the TB, reattach the blue plug at the TB, and the plug on the IACV. Re attach your intake pipe/hose and Booooyah!....you're done.

Now you can enjoy a smooth idle sputter free.

Video and pics coming soon!

Cleaned my IACV today. Here are some pictures.

STEP 1:
IACV1.jpg

IACV2.jpg

STEP 2:

IACV3.jpg

IACV4.jpg

IACV5.jpg

STEP 3:

IACV6.jpg

IACV7.jpg

IACV8.jpg

IACV9.jpg

STEP 4:

IACV10.jpg

Put everything back in reverse order and that is it.

Back