Manual Transmission and Traffic

Erik123456789

Reaction score
oh yeah and when im at a red light on steep hills then i just leave my foot on the sweet spot (halfway pressed so clutch engages without stalling) so the rpms drop down to like 700-800rpm lol

nexTOme

Reaction score
oh yeah and when im at a red light on steep hills then i just leave my foot on the sweet spot (halfway pressed so clutch engages without stalling) so the rpms drop down to like 700-800rpm lol

i know i shouldnt, but i do that too all the time... haha

F23A1AT

Reaction score
When a light changes I pull the car out of gear. The only time I use the pedal is to change gears, or to start moving.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
wow, i have always held the clutch pedal down. i even tried to take it out of gear on the drive back, but at lights i didn't like the motion of me press th eclutch down, shifting into first, clutch out.....takes too long

so the only real problem, other than the fact of giant left leg muscles, is a more quickly worn out throwout bearing?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My foot is only on the clutch to put it in gear, or change gears. At lights I'm out of gear until the light turns.

If you are sitting there with the clutch depressed at a light, you are putting major wear on the release bearing.

If Im in bumper to bumper traffic, I'll put the car in first and let it out and just creep along at idle. after 15 years of driving around Boston traffic, I've found this to be the best method.

I'm self taught, but other than the boston thing, this is what I do.

Yes, you will wear out the throwout bearing. My buddy did this in his WRX, then realized he didnt always have to push completely down (like to the floor) on the clutch pedal to engage it, idiot.

Back