DIY - Mini BBK - all OEM parts and fits inside a 16" wheel

lashlee

Reaction score
99-08 TL for the rotors and brackets. I know that TSX, Odyssey, Pilot and some of the 7th or 8th gen Accord's use the same bracket. It's beefier than the 23T, 25T or 28T brakckets. Sorry, I thought I put that in there originally but I updated the original to reflect it. And you are welcome!! It stops well and looks meaty inside the wheels.

NOO

Reaction score
I'm just curious, what's the difference between big break kits from regular ones? the pros and cons, and or does it just simply increase your breaking distance and better braking? I'm just wondering what advantages you get from it. curious since I'm new and want to have as much useful info to my knowledge. thanks

lashlee

Reaction score
There are a couple of factors when it comes to braking. They basically break down to a few things, size of the rotor (both diameter and thickness), the size and make up of the caliper and the size and makeup of the pads themselves.

The larger the rotor the more swept area you have (or the ability to dissipate the heat generated during deceleration) since it takes longer for a given point to pass the pads with a larger diameter rotor. Thus it has more chance to cool and tends to limit the fade associated with an overheated brake setup. Most all big brake kits will start with at least a larger rotor and some sort of adapter bracket to move the caliper from the center line of the axle to compensate for the change in diameter.

The next step to consider is the size and make up of the caliper. Some units will use a single piston, dual piston, four piston, and it can go anywhere from there. There are two ways to look at the number of pistons and there importance. First is that the more pistons you are able to spread the clamping force across a larger area. One large piston make cover more area but it has to be centered around the middle of the pad. Two pistons can be smaller placed side by side to to apply more pressure across the face of the pad. Four pistons would have the same theory as two except two on the inside of the rotor and two on the outside of the rotor. Some four piston calipers will go a step further and have four individual pads. There are also two basic types of calipers. A single and dual piston will be called a sliding style where the pads are on the inside and the outer pad slides on a bracket to pull the pads to the rotor. Four piston units will be more rigid and push from inside and outside to apply pressure on the rotor.

The are many compounds that manufacturers go into pads, and there are many sites devoted to make up and types of pads for a given driving style.

As for pros and cons:

Pros: may get a slightly less stopping distance, better pedal feel, fill up open faced wheels, etc..
Cons: more unsprung weight, cost, possible issues in the future with replacements, could change the OEM balance for front to rear, etc...

I hope that this helps, and this barely scratches the surface of the entire subject.

Last edited:

zitro_pr

Reaction score
I can do this in my i4 accord coupe because i have 5 lug nut conversion but using the oem caliber and brake pad system

dpham671

Reaction score
I've spent a the last few weeks putting together the pieces to make an all OEM mini big brake kit. It had to fulfill a few things, first and foremost it had to fit inside the 16's that I use daily since I put about 40k miles a year on the Accord and tires are alot cheaper!! And second I wanted OEM parts. I used to have a one of the AEM kits and it worked well but I want off the shelf parts. I'm sure it's been done but I couldn't find anything that was put together on here so I thought I put a list together of what I used.

Legend calipers with OEM pads
99-08 TL caliper brackets (so I could use the 28mm rotors)
99-08 11.8" TL (or V6 6 Speed) 28mm rotors

Here are a few pics of the goodies:
Parts after the clean up:
16089032_medium.jpg

After the rebuild and some paint:
16089033_medium.jpg

Trial fit with the junkyard rotors and no pads:
16089037_medium.jpg

The money shot!! Fits inside an OEM V6 Coupe wheel:
16089040_medium.jpg

One more shot:
16089039_medium.jpg

Now that I know that it fits I'll go ahead and order the new rotors and get it installed. Thanks to F23A1AT for the help on what parts to get for the rebuild and everyone else that has done some of the same work so I could steal part numbers and ideas!! Feel free to ask any questions!!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
Would a 93 legend sedan brake caliper fit stock V6 caliper bracket?

i believe it does.. 95% sure

i have the whole setup for sale if u're interested... rotors, brackets and calipers... it's just collecting dust in my garage haha.. and u'rei n socal too, so easy to meet up

dpham671

Reaction score
I’m not sure how to PM Red Ryder told me but I still can’t figure it out. I’m down to check what you got. Pm me. Wya?

Back