Crutchfield Metra Dash Kit Question

NorcalLX

Reaction score
Ordered a Pioneer Single DIN Digital Media Receiver for my 02 LX Sedan and it came with a Metra 99-7895 Dash Kit. My question is, can the Pioneer receiver be installed without using the Metra kit? The stock trim has a flip-open door over a storage cubby hole whereas the Metra kit is just a open hole and I'm thinking I'd rather retain the stock trim with door, if possible and there are no figment issues.

Thanks - Dave

KONG

Reaction score
Figured out that you can indeed install in the stock location without using that POS Metra garbage.
That's great.

Ordered a Pioneer Single DIN Digital Media Receiver for my 02 LX Sedan and it came with a Metra 99-7895 Dash Kit. My question is, can the Pioneer receiver be installed without using the Metra kit? The stock trim has a flip-open door over a storage cubby hole whereas the Metra kit is just a open hole and I'm thinking I'd rather retain the stock trim with door, if possible and there are no figment issues.

Thanks - Dave

I don't remember the name of the kit, that I used to install my radio (It was back in 99-98) But I had to modify it, so I can keep the stock trim with the flip-open door.

NorcalLX

Reaction score
The Pioneer Media Receiver turned out to be a POS so I'm returning it and exchanging it for a Alpine. Hopefully, spending $75 more will net me a decent sounding unit with a display I can actually read in Daylight...

Enne

Reaction score
I have a Sony unit in my '99 and it works great. Sony CDX-GT710HD stereo & Sony XS-FB1630 6-1/2" 3-way front speakers. Never had an issue with Pioneer stuff but I just personally like Sony products better. I think the unit and install kit was like $99 on eBay from Volunteer Audio.

NorcalLX

Reaction score
The Alpine UTE-62BT Digital Media Receiver came today and I installed it along with a pair of Infinity Primus PR9603is 6"x9's in the rear deck and a pair of Polk Audio DB 652 6.5's in the front doors. Display readability of the Alpine is much, much better than the Pioneer MVH-X580BS I returned. I am very impressed with the results initially vs the stock HU and the crap paper cone Pioneer speakers. Will give it a few weeks to decide whether or not to add the Alpine KTP-445A Power Pack Amp to kick up the power a tad.

KONG

Reaction score
Will give it a few weeks to decide whether or not to add the Alpine KTP-445A Power Pack Amp to kick up the power a tad.

Are you going to add the KTP-445A ?
I've been playing with the idea, of adding one to my stereo.

NorcalLX

Reaction score
Are you going to add the KTP-445A ?
I've been playing with the idea, of adding one to my stereo.

Yes, I plan on getting one soon hopefully. Am leaning towards the KTP-445U instead of the KTP-445A as it is also bridgeable to 90 Watts x 2 @ 4Ω. Figure I'd try it both ways - feeding all four speakers 45 Watts each then just the Infinity Primus PR9603is 6"x9's at 90 watts each to see which setup sounds better to me. Either unit, it sounds like running a separate power wire direct from the battery is best way to power them.

Last edited:
Back