What is this wiring/switch for under dash? Keyless, alarm or remote start?

Enne

Reaction score
I just happened to find a receipt for "keyless entry remote" in my car's glove box last night. It must have been the first owner, because the second and third owner had no knowledge of a keyfob, remote start or even a spare key for the car. The paper was dated December 2005 and the car was bought new in January 1999. There is also this report on the CARFAX:
10/07/2002
DCH Academy Honda
Ignition switch replaced
Anti-theft/keyless device/alarm reset

So, I'm thinking maybe my car has keyless entry and I never knew it. Not sure why they'd install a toggle switch for an alarm/keyless system. I didn't see an LED anywhere on the dash or around the cruise control button, which is where I usually see them. So I don't think it is for an alarm. Apparently, buying an aftermarket remote and doing the programming sequence has worked for other people who found a dealer installed system in their car.

A while ago I also found a little toggle switch under the driver's side dash, right under the steering column. People have said it looks like a switch to turn off remote start function. Here's a photo of what it looks like under the steering column in my car. The bundle of wires directly above it is wrapped in electrical tape so I don't think it is factory wiring. Considering the car is an LX I would assume it is dealer or an aftermarket install. Apparently for remote start systems, there's also a second button and an antenna that you have to install and I don't recall any wires around the rear view mirror for the antenna nor a second button.

eb9488d724cfc61885ef79a9be445a01.jpg

The fact that there's a receipt that specifically says "keyless entry remote" tells me it's not a remote start. Or, maybe it had both (that's a lot of keys/fobs...)

Another note: my car has 2 different keys. There is a black one that only works on the door locks and trunk, and a second gray one that only works in the ignition. So one unlocks the car and one starts it. Don't know if that clarifies but I'm guessing that was done when they replaced the ignition (they probably had to have a new key cut and programmed and it didn't match the locks on the car?)

Last edited:

Kimbo80

Reaction score
It looks like the kill switch for the alarm. However, I can't tell if it's an OEM or aftermarket alarm. You might have gotten lucky and may just need new transmitters and might be in business.

Check out the instructions from handa-accessories under 1998-2000 Accord/Electronics/Security System/View Installation Directions. It shows the kill switch.

Since I have only been a member for 3 days, I am not allowed to post links (yet).

Last edited:

Enne

Reaction score
Okay, I looked in the instructions for both the keyless system and alarm system installation, and I see where the control unit should be installed. I will look there and see if there is anything.

In the instructions for the alarm system, the picture of the disarm button is of an actual button, not a switch, and there is no LED where it says to install an LED in the upper steering column cover. The switch is supposed to be installed in the driver's dashboard lower cover as is the control unit. But the switch I have is just hanging. So, maybe someone installed this on their own.

Also, I don't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary in any of the fuse boxes. In the instructions, the wire harness gets plugged into the left side fuse box.

Last edited:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Okay, I looked in the instructions for both the keyless system and alarm system installation, and I see where the control unit should be installed. I will look there and see if there is anything.

In the instructions for the alarm system, the picture of the disarm button is of an actual button, not a switch, and there is no LED where it says to install an LED in the upper steering column cover. The switch is supposed to be installed in the driver's dashboard lower cover as is the control unit. But the switch I have is just hanging. So, maybe someone installed this on their own.

Also, I don't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary in any of the fuse boxes. In the instructions, the wire harness gets plugged into the left side fuse box.
The switch might have replaced the push button. Most times the push button is used to over ride the alarm, and allow the vehicle to start because the remote 's battery died. A friend of mine had a Blazer like that. In your case the toggle switch might have replaced the push button, leaving the system in "over ride".

Enne

Reaction score
I got under the dash but I seriously don't know what I'm looking for/at. It does seem like there's something installed but there's no clues to what it actually is... The control unit doesn't seem to be attached to the dash panel like it should be. Wherever it is, it's either crammed up somewhere I can't see, or someone took it out, I dunno. I took some photos, can anyone see anything that I'm obviously overlooking?

I looked again at the fuse panel, there is some kind of harness plugged into it. But, the alarm and keyless harnesses are identical so I can't tell from just looking at the harness.
4d2a5272e5bff55f2f0875c80a3fb338.jpg
708059f9dbd06ff0d9a8c033886534a4.jpg
8ca66c9fbb413a5cca13839c7b2a6dcc.jpg

SupraGuy

Reaction score
That looks very much like a remote start installation to me. Follow the wires from that mass of black vinyl taped mess in the top picture, and you'll find the control unit.

Back