Cam Pulley bolt torque

Comystic

Reaction score
**HELP** Found some great stuff in the FAQ's, and I read everything and even searched the forum to no avail to answer a question I have. The FAQ's say 43 ft/lbs for cam sprocket bolt..... but i have a cam pulley, is this a mistake as to the best of my knowledge all 6th gen's are belt driven? and if so is it really 43 ft lbs.? just seems high as other similar applications for other cars are around 24-26 lbs using removable thread locker. Any help would be appreciated. And what an awesome FAQ page.. I'm printing that piece out for the toolbox!!! Thanks in advance. I have the F23A1

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Sprocket = tooth'ed
Pulley= smooth
-or-
Sprocket= chain
Pulley =belt

Really, in this case they are interchagable. But 43lbft doesn't sound excessive for a m10, 14mm head. It might only need 20lb to hold, the rest would be to 'stretch' a bit and creata 'hold' so it don't just loosen.

BTW: lugs are 19mm, m14, and should have ~2x as much but get ~300lbs with impact wrench a-holes and it still works

Comystic

Reaction score
Right on thanks guys. I did some more digging the other night and did finally find an old base shop manual by Honda that says 27 ft lbs (page 68), but I think you are both right given the size and material I think it can definitely take more. Just use your integral "bolts about to snap sense" any good mechanic has anyway I guess. Wish I woulda known or I woulda snugged it a bit more, I'll prob go back soon n torque it just to sleep better. Thanks for the help!!:chewie:

Comystic

Reaction score
Wonder Why Dorman Products is calling it a Harmonic Balancer though? I always thought harm bal were on the crank and had some kind of rubber damper in them? In which case the crank pulley does have the rubber damper, but its superseded due to the function of the balance shaft? Idk... just jabbering now my curiosity got the best of me. Thanks again.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
Right on thanks guys. I did some more digging the other night and did finally find an old base shop manual by Honda that says 27 ft lbs (page 68), but I think you are both right given the size and material I think it can definitely take more. Just use your integral "bolts about to snap sense" any good mechanic has anyway I guess. Wish I woulda known or I woulda snugged it a bit more, I'll prob go back soon n torque it just to sleep better. Thanks for the help!!:chewie:

no problem bro and yeah when that sense kicks in..you know what to do

Wonder Why Dorman Products is calling it a Harmonic Balancer though? I always thought harm bal were on the crank and had some kind of rubber damper in them? In which case the crank pulley does have the rubber damper, but its superseded due to the function of the balance shaft? Idk... just jabbering now my curiosity got the best of me. Thanks again.

beats me..searched and got the same torque values...meh
though i completely agree with your theory HBs on the crank and has dampers to "balance" engine vibrations....hence the name

Back