DIY: "Boat look" Remedy for Accords on Lowering Springs

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Just received my kyb adjustables ... and looking to modify the shock tabs. But just to be sure, am I to just leave one portion of the tab (approx 1/4") and pry off the rest below it w/ a flathead screwdriver? I have a dremel tool w/ a cutting bit. Hopefully I won't cut past the tab and into the shock.

That is exactly what I did.

If you use a new hack saw, it makes it very quick and easy, plus you don't risk going too far.

LudeNsoL

Reaction score
i just did these nice lil mod but it only dropped it about 1/2 inch it was real easy but the time and effort was in the whole grinding process...

whitegourd

Reaction score
looking to remedy the boat look by cutting the shock tabs, question is, should I cut horizontally where the two dots are on the shock tabs. I don't know if the whole shock tab is welded on or if it is welded on where the two dots are.

Also, it doesn't seem like I'll be able to get a 1/2 inch further drop out of this w/ the shock tab cut method. What do you guys think ... ? These are KYB AGX adjustables by the way.

IMG_1167.jpg

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I am going to guess that the "dots" are where the tab meets the shock. Alot of civic people just cut the tab all the way off and rely on the fork to keep the shock position. I can't recommend it or not, I played it safe on mine, but it has been done. I have seen a 1.5 drop with stock springs and shocks this way. Do it at your own risk (or get a great welder to try to weld a new bead)

whitegourd

Reaction score
I am going to guess that the "dots" are where the tab meets the shock. Alot of civic people just cut the tab all the way off and rely on the fork to keep the shock position. I can't recommend it or not, I played it safe on mine, but it has been done. I have seen a 1.5 drop with stock springs and shocks this way. Do it at your own risk (or get a great welder to try to weld a new bead)

I thought about taking the tab off completely before, but wasn't sure how reliable the fork would be to hold the shock in place. I guess if it did slide down all the way, it wouldn't go further than maybe 1.5 inches. But if something like that did happen, I don't know if it'll be far enough to touch the axle. I'll have to check it out again.

I like the idea of having a new bead welded on there, maybe right where it meets the top of the tab. Thanks.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
if you cut that tab off, my guess is that youre going to have to dent the shock further up in order to but the bolt in so the shock will stay in place. that little notch under the shock tab is what im talking about.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
if you cut that tab off, my guess is that youre going to have to dent the shock further up in order to put the bolt in so the shock will stay in place.

This is what I had to do with my OEM struts when I did this mod. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned that they had to do this :ugh2:

Last edited:
Back