DIY: "Boat look" Remedy for Accords on Lowering Springs

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I want to see more peoples' pics of the resulting fork/shock method, whichever they chose.. That is a crapload to grind off the fork!

accord911

Reaction score
after couple month, does the ride is still good? I will try it next summer!

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Jason, how long did it take you to bore each fork?

Any idea if this type of boring procedure would undermine the integrity of the forks during a high-stress track event such as an Auto-X? I'm sure it's fine for daily use, but could this be a hazard on the drag strip or other event?

Thanks!

AFAccord

Reaction score
after couple month, does the ride is still good? I will try it next summer!

I didn't notice any difference in the ride. It's just lower now so I have to watch for dips and such so I don't tear my front lip off. lol

Jason, how long did it take you to bore each fork?

Any idea if this type of boring procedure would undermine the integrity of the forks during a high-stress track event such as an Auto-X? I'm sure it's fine for daily use, but could this be a hazard on the drag strip or other event?

Thanks!

I think it took me about 45 minutes on the first side, just to figured out what I was doing and how to grind more effectively. The second side took about half that time.

I haven't had any issues after months of going to the drag strip and touge's through the mountains.

likeawp

Reaction score
I want to pay dues to the inventor of this remedy.......Thanks AFAccord........I did this during the summer 2008 around August........been through numerous roadtrips, potholes, bumps, rain and shine.......and car still runs silk smooth on paved road of course

The Tokico Illumina shocks had a slab of pure metal on the upper portion where it is inserted into the fork.......it is an unusually THICK patch of metal.......I thought it was too dangerous to grind the fork too thin and risk fracturing its integrity..........therefore I grinded the metal slab + the fork for a tight snugly fit.........so far soo good on my experience :thumbsup:.........I already have a front camber kit installed prior to this modification.......I've driven about 6000 miles since then and tires show no unusual wears :147703263745b138a51.........maybe its in my head but this extra drop gives me a tiny bit more negative camber in the front and improved handling

here you can see me posing for some LULZ in my garage during the processs :rofl:...........dremel positioned on the metal slab on the shock......you can see the metal dusts on the cardboard.....damn it was a long process but very worthwhile........and yes I do wear goggles when grinding :p

grindinglulz.jpg

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I did the boat look fix last weekend. I would recommend using something more powerful than a dremel if you are boring the forks because it takes forever with just a dremel. I used a lathe and a grinder bit and got it done in 10 minutes. One of the sides I did with just a dremel and that was the most tedious project I have done I think. I love this mod, thanks Jason!

xxkevo

Reaction score
any one in SOCAL willing to help me do this for some $ for christmas? LOL

PumaFumé

Reaction score
do u only do this mod if your keeping your stock struts?

im going to drop the car 2'', do i need to get aftermarket struts?

Back