P0700, P1705 Electrical Issue

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
Yesterday, I was trying to replace my reverse lights. I turned the key to on position without starting the car, pulled hand brake, shifted autotrans to reverse. Well, the T20 leds from Ebay (Hong Kong) were a no go, although the map lights and festoon bulbs did work, but that's beside the point. I went inside to search the net to find new replacements. An hour goes by, And I forget I left the key on and the battery dies. Put trans back in park and jump start the car. The car started fine, but now I notice that the dash lights aren't coming on, (the trans gear indicator light, the red seatbelt light, and the odometer is blank). The only lights coming on at ignition startup are the green key light and red battery light , then going off. The transmission will not shift out of park even after applying the brake pedal. The power windows do not work. The power door locks will unlock, but not lock, wierd.
I then try to pull codes with scanner, and P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction, P1705 Transmission Range Switch come up. Wasn't sure if the TCU/ECU was fried? or maybe it was just the sensor. Any way to test the ECU? And it's the 4cyl.

todd_cards

Reaction score
damn man, can not help with this, but this is all coming from messing with the reverse lights? or started that way?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Not sure if it might be related...but an up in the air possibility...when your battery died the shifter was in R, could be te ECU might somehow still think the car is in Reverse even though its not.

Since you did nothing else...I would first try to get the battery charged(since you let it die) and reset the ecu...which will happen once you disconnect the battery anyways.

PS. As for your ebay leds, you probably just needed to turn them 180deg and they would work.

Edit: Checking up on the service records for the codes I think the codes you are seeing are due to you leaving your car in R, on, and let it die that way. It seems if the main relay sticks in the ON position the ecu can repeatedly set either one of :
P0753 (shift solenoid valve A)
P0758 (shift solenoid valve B)
P1705 (transmission range switch short to ground)
P1768 (A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve A)

P0700 is just a general code and should go away with 1705.

Put the car in park, key off, disconnect the battery ground and if you want charge the battery back to full if you have a battery charger/tender. Check for any possibly fuses that might've burned as well and re-try/check

Last edited:

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
Have tried resetting the ECU?

Yes, I disconnected the negative terminal for 30 seconds.

damn man, can not help with this, but this is all coming from messing with the reverse lights? or started that way?
All this from letting the battery die, while in reverse.

Not sure if it might be related...but an up in the air possibility...when your battery died the shifter was in R, could be te ECU might somehow still think the car is in Reverse even though its not.

Since you did nothing else...I would first try to get the battery charged(since you let it die) and reset the ecu...which will happen once you disconnect the battery anyways.

PS. As for your ebay leds, you probably just needed to turn them 180deg and they would work.

Edit: Checking up on the service records for the codes I think the codes you are seeing are due to you leaving your car in R, on, and let it die that way. It seems if the main relay sticks in the ON position the ecu can repeatedly set either one of :

P0700 is just a general code and should go away with 1705.

Put the car in park, key off, disconnect the battery ground and if you want charge the battery back to full if you have a battery charger/tender. Check for any possibly fuses that might've burned as well and re-try/check

Yeah, i hope this is an easy fix. I have the trickle charger on it now, with the neg terminal disconnected. The battery reads 12.22 volts, not enough to start the car. Would maybe replacing the relay help, if it is possibly sticking? I'll see whats going on tomorrow night after work, once the battery is charged. Really got me thinking that the computer wasn't right after all the dash lights were out.

I tried rotating the bulb 180 degree too, and no dice. Even, folded over strips of aluminum foil, thinking that the wires weren't making contact. The glass bulb of the reverse lights fits so much better though.

JDM_Rook

Reaction score

Where is the main relay located in the car? I checked all the fuses on the passenger side panel, and they all checked out good.

This must be what you found: http://engine-codes.com/tsb/tsb.php?tsb_id=140913&tsb_code=p1705&tsb_make=honda

Internet reply: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110930193338AAb3Jeo

Could the brake relay be the problem? #3 in diagram?
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_P...colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=6&idAndImageID=3273 1238361

Or the neutral safety switch? #18 in diagram? http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_P...colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=3&idAndImageID=3190 1238282

Also, shouldn't I be able to jackup the front end and disconnect shift cable from shifter and manually pull cable to put into neutral? I would like to atleast be able to push the car to where I can work on it easier.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Something else I ran into in the service manual regarding the shifter being locked and not movable.
Battery voltage is supplied at all times through fuse 47 to the brake switch. With the ignition in ON (II) or START (III), battery voltage is supplied through fuse 9 (in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box) to the shift lock solenoid. When you push the brake pedal, battery voltage is applied through the WHT/BLK wire to the PCM. If, at the same time, you do not push the accelerator pedal, a low voltage signal is sent through the RED/BLK wire to the PCM. The PCM then applies voltage through the WHT/RED wire to the shift lock circuit in the driver's multiplex control unit. If the shift lever is in the PARK position, the shift lock circuit provides ground to the shift lock solenoid. The solenoid is then energized allowing the shift lever to be moved from the PARK position.

So give a check to
#fuse #47 on Under-Hood Fuse/Relay Box - ignition key light, key interlock switch, abs, cruise control, ECM, Horn relay, brake lights
#fuse #9 on Driver's Under Dash - Shift lock solenoid, gauge assembly, clock, drl, backup lights, brake light sensor
They both control what doesn't seem to be working on your vehicle at the moment. Before you do this though...put your stock bulbs back in just in case the bulbs shorted somehow.

------
As for your post...I noticed mention of the main relay going through the 6th gen alldatadiy files and the service manual used by Honda.

The main relay is located behind the driver dash. If you look up from where the pedals are you'll see it.
Pic for reference.
83237625.jpg

Maybe give a check to the A/T reverse relay as well. Could be unrelated but its easy to check if the above proved no success.
86111409.gif

Reason why i'm thinking it be a signal/wire/relay/fuse problem is as from what i understand you did not do any work on the car for this to happen...aside from trying bulbs and leaving the car on/in reverse until it died.

Last edited:

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
Fuse #9 was blown (Shift lock solenoid, gauge assembly). That would explain why I couldn't get it out of park, and the dash lights were out. Never would have thought it would throw a code from a blown fuse. Thanks for all your help, would have been clueless and at the mercy of the dealership without this forum.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Fuse #9 was blown (Shift lock solenoid, gauge assembly). That would explain why I couldn't get it out of park, and the dash lights were out. Never would have thought it would throw a code from a blown fuse. Thanks for all your help, would have been clueless and at the mercy of the dealership without this forum.

Glad it all worked out:thumbsup:
...now dont forget it in reverse again lolz

Back