V6 AUTO Transmission giving up...

suje_thao

Reaction score
ok here is the problem, my tranny shifts fine when you start the car on a nice cool day...but on hot days or whenever you drive it for a while the tranny starts to slip every so often...check engine light came on and i got it checked out...code P0780(shift malfunction)...a friend of mine said its mainly the torque converter if when you change the ATF fluid there are no metal chunks on your bolt...i know that there would be very little small pieces on the bolt...so the question is, should i replace the torque converter or get a new used tranny? which would be costly for a new used one...i could already get a different car with the rebuild money...and i cant do a 5 speed swap since my dad and i are the only ones in the family that knows how to drive standard cars...any suggestions, let me know...thanks

Last edited:

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
ok here is the problem, my tranny shifts fine when you start the car on a nice cool day...but on hot days or whenever you drive it for a while the tranny starts to slip every so often...check engine light came on and i got it checked out...code P0780(shift malfunction)...a friend of mine said its mainly the torque converter if when you change the ATF fluid there are no metal chunks on your bolt...i know that there would be very little small pieces on the bolt...so the question is, should i replace the torque converter or get a new used tranny? which would be costly for a new used one...i could already get a different car with the rebuild money...and i cant do a 5 speed swap since my dad and i are the only ones in the family that knows how to drive standard cars...any suggestions, let me know...thanks

you cant really get a new transmission they are all rebuilt. everything new replace thats broken but the case or shell of transmission used your transmission is going to fail sooner or later you might as well replace it with a new one since you are already feeling it slip its only a matter of months before it fails. its about 1200-1500 to replace including parts and labor. usually if you can find a shop that does. if dealer does it for about 3-3.5k for the same product.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
2nd and 3rd gear clutch packs are toast, get a used or rebuilt tranny. Happens to everyone, including myself.

Jecht

Reaction score
I would stay away from a used tranny for these cars. you might get a problem worse than you have now.

Tphong

Reaction score
Well if you're not totally in love with your car. You should just buy another car. The automatic tranny's are made really crappy for the 6th gen stock. Don't know about the rebuilt ones. Correct me if I'm wrong,but there's also I believe a 6 speed conversion for the v6 accord. Gotta get the tranny out of an acura I believe. I say if you're just gonna keep the car auto might as well just buy another car with that rebuild money. Or you can spend a lot of money making that auto tranny into a racing type tranny. Bunch of money though. And like the person before me said don't get a used tranny because the same thing will just happen eventually.

Jecht

Reaction score
there was a guy that was running a tranny cooler and was seeing if it could extend the life and also with an inline filter. dont know how it was going for him as he got the ban hammer from this other site.

would love to even do a 5 speed manual swap to keep costs down. I might just wind up later on buying a TL with a M6:driving:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Find a verified LOW miledge unit for cheap, install it and drive the car until you sell it.

Jecht

Reaction score
but for a few hundred bucks you could buy yourself a year or two

or grenade when he puts it in drive. I would rather fix it right the first time and not mess with it again and again.
worky.gif

Back