The time is near ver. Home Theater

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
The time is coming near for me to start to break ground on my bedroom theater system.

I've been reading and listening to stuff for a while, and have evaluated my budget and goals. I want a well rounded system that I can both watch movies and listen to music on. Space is limited due to it being in my room, so floorstanding is regretfully not a option :( . Satellites are going to have to do, and do well.

For my reciever: Yamaha HTR-5940
B000GU7E2Q.jpg

RXV459HTR5940rUC.jpg

The satellite system: JBL SCS500.3
SCS300_5TP.jpg

And my Subwoofer: JBL Sub10
B000FBPH9I-1.jpg

B000FBPH9I.jpg

I realize there will be a midrange gap using a satellite system, the sub can only do so much to make up for it before it's not really a "subwoofer" anymore. The first big upgrade will be a larger center channel, probably the JBL Voice Dual 5" MTM Center Channel.
202417516.jpg

Any other theater buffs in the house???

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Sweet!! I just picked up my Yamaha DVD Player last night and.......IT DOESN'T WORK!!

Not a good start on my project
redface.gif

dv-s5750_main.gif

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
you all would love my stereo...the receiver, eq, and front speakers are almost as old as i am...but all work and sound great.

yamaha...i know you work at BB and get a discount, but...

in any case you should try to get 5-6.5" fronts, at least in my opinion. ive got 5 1/4s with a 10" sub crossed at 110hz and theres a slight gap. but, if im playing music i can use the eq in WMP to boost the frequency above and below the gap to make it more seamless.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
ryan s said:
you all would love my stereo...the receiver, eq, and front speakers are almost as old as i am...but all work and sound great.

yamaha...i know you work at BB and get a discount, but...

in any case you should try to get 5-6.5" fronts, at least in my opinion. ive got 5 1/4s with a 10" sub crossed at 110hz and theres a slight gap. but, if im playing music i can use the eq in WMP to boost the frequency above and below the gap to make it more seamless.

In the DVD Player's defense, it's about 3 years old and has sat on the shelf the whole time. Yamaha is going to take care of it for me. There's not too much out there better than Yamaha in the price bracket I'm in.

I'd love to get some JBL Stage fronts, but space wil not allow it. Believe me I've tried.

skabone

Reaction score
no HDMI hookups?
I'm looking into a panisonic setup because they have a wireless rear satalite setup.:cool:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
any other brand likes/dislikes? there might be other options in your price range. are the speakers going on stands, or on a shelf or something sturdy? some stands can support like 3lbs, which is about what mine are.

was the dvd player a floor model, or just overstock?

skabone

Reaction score
what's your price range anyway?

I'm definatly going the speaker stand route too just because of the setup of my condo. its kind of hard to mount stuff with vaulted cellings.

xluben

Reaction score
ryan s said:
My source is a vintage Marantz Model 2240B:

my parents got in the 70's. when i was searching for a good 2ch reciever someone recommended the marantz model 2230b and gave an ebay link.

i saw the pic, and realized my parent's had one from the same lineup (except more power)!

it was free and sounds great. a few of the backlight bulbs have gone out, though :(

here's my bedroom setup right now (apartment):

the speakers are dayton br-1's:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-640&CFID=10265557&CFTOKEN=89096848

sound GREAT for the money. surprisingly good low end for the money. on music they sound way better than a sub.

but if you work at best buy these are the holy grail of cheap speakers:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03043&id=1138085354138
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184546
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=81277&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

a few sets of those will sound MUCH better than some cheap-o satellites.

they used to be under $50/pr but recently BB jacked up the price.

Jefften10

Reaction score
HAHA you guys will love my room setup!!!
I used to play in a rock band, but havent in a long time. Well my band owned a 1000W PA system. Well I wired the reciever as an input on my PA so it runs through there, and thus through giant 250W speakers. Also if I ever wanna play still, I can just pug my bass right up :)

Back