(Sort of) DIY Intake

GreenArrow

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post on the forums, and first off I'd like to thank every member. I've done a lot of reading on the site in the past few months, and I've gotten a lot of ideas on what i should do to mod my car from all of you. Now on to my reason for posting: I was at the local Pep Boys recently and decided i would make my own Short Ram Intake. It actually worked out pretty good, so I thought i'd share what i did with y'all:)

Pics and Links will be up after my 7 day waiting period is up. I'm still wet behind the ears :)

Parts Used:
-Spectre 45 degree elbow (doesn't say what diameter, but a 3 inch filter fit on it, just barely). This is one of the pieces for the "universal intake" Spectre sells. You can buy individual sections.

-Spectre Filter (3 inch diameter opening)

-Metal Bracket ( i used some thin metal i found in my workshop that came in a roll, and has holes in it. I don't really know what it is)
Everything except the metal bracket was purchased at pep boys.That's it!

The Important thing to keep in mind about this mod is that it's one of those "Not everything fits perfectly, you may need to jimmy it into place" kind of deals. :p

I removed the Stock filter box, and left the stock rubber intake hose. Then I wrestled the elbow piece into the hose, taking the air box's place. I then slipped the new filter on, and finally held the whole thing in place with a bendable bracket, which is held on with the bolt that was originally holding the air box onto the strut tower.

That's it! Now The Green Arrow (what i named my car) Growls every time i give it a little throttle. Hope this helped some of you guys! GreenArrow Out.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your idea, but for this to be an actual DIY it could use more detail like what diameter hoses/filter were used, what type of hardware it was exactly, and of course, some photos. And if you really want to help people, you can post the links where you bought the components from.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah, need photos.

I might do my own custom version (PVC electrical conduit is key)

GreenArrow

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips RedRyder. I tried to update my information the best i could, and i don't really have a way to upload photos right now, but I'll see what i can do. I also tried to post links initially, but i have to wait a few days before I'm allowed.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you're still in the 7 day waiting period, maybe add a note you'll have more info/pics to post when that is up. Already looks better!

Btw welcome to the site.

GreenArrow

Reaction score
I think the PVC would be better than the elbow i bought. The Elbow has raised collars on both ends, so that's what made it difficult to fit it into the stock hose. I think if you were to get a 45 or 60 degree 3 Inch PVC elbow, you'd be golden :)

xci.ed6

Reaction score
PVC conduit:

16311_10100176073005799_800660322_n.jpg

It works, it's easy to work on, it's cheap.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_59015-1716-...oduct_qty_sales_dollar|1&page=1&facetInfo=PVC

2.5" 90*, $6.40

Hondatuner86

Reaction score
thanks for the info...i just did this mod last week

Parts i used:
45 degree elbow(87381K)
Black Filter(8136)...next i need to get the universal tube(8219K)and 22 degree elbow to complete it

Back