Spark plugs - are they easy to do and worth DIY??

xci.ed6

Reaction score
The comment was thrown out simply as you mentioned buying from the lowest possible seller.

The only issue is...hand tight to you will never be the same to hand tight to someone else, especially someone who is not a car mechanic. A "real mechanic" who would be using the hand tighten method as he is doing the work himself and most likely knows his limits from experience can't really compare to John Doe doing his sparkplugs for the first time in his garage.

Hand tight means the spark plug seal is flush with the head and plug. The extra turn squeezes that seal, which is actually supposed to be replaced every time.

And tq, is a bunch of bs.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Hand tight means the spark plug seal is flush with the head and plug. The extra turn squeezes that seal, which is actually supposed to be replaced every time.

And tq, is a bunch of bs.

...not worth the argument when common sense flies out the window

xci.ed6

Reaction score
...not worth the argument when common sense flies out the window

I suggest you read that fsm.

And again.

That part about head bolts, where you tq (?) them acertain # of º...
It has more to do with bolt TENSION than TORQUE.

Because of thread resistance...

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
I just got some NGK G power plugs from Rock auto. They look real to me - nice shiny cad plating, but the "NGK" and "part number" are on the same side.

I don't believe in the torque setting either. Just put motorcycle chain spray on the threads (so you can get them out next time) and tighten till the gasket is crushed flat. You don't want that plug to come loose... Wasn't there a guy on here that showed pictures of what happens if the plug comes loose??? Looked nasty and expensive!!!

Back