DIY Bumper Tab Relocation (56k better to go a friend's house.)

Chris Vu

Reaction score
So I recently got new wheels, as most of you know, I also had the fenders rolled, but neglected the fact that I needed to relocate my bumper tab (the part that holds the bumper to the fender) and guess what.. SCRAAAAAAAAPE it was the most annoying sound ever ..

REMINDER: ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN GRINDING OR DRILLING. AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED TOO!

I am not responsible for anything that happens to you, or your vehicle when you attempt this DIY. I have made this DIY according to how I did it, and it came out fine. In other words, if you mess up, it's all on you.

Estimated Time: It took me a total of 2 hours with a bunch of breaks in between cuz I got sidetracked and whatnot :crazyrun:
Difficulty: 4/10

Tools Required:
-Angle Grinder
-Drill
-Pliers
-Screw Driver
-Screws/Zip Ties
-Tire Iron or 19mm socket
-Floor Jack

IMAG0101.jpg

1) If you haven't already, you're going to need to locate exactly where your tires are rubbing/scraping on the bumper/bumper tab. To do this, you can take a piece of tape, preferably blue/yellow/or any bright color, stick it around the wheel well and take a drive. When the tire rubs, it'll make a mark on the piece of tape where it rubbed. I don't have pics of this because my paint is fresh, and it was rubbing off the clearcoat/paint so I knew exactly what was rubbing =/

IMAG0067-1.jpg

2) So apparently, you're going to need to take off your wheel in order to get to the bumper tab. Use the tire iron/19mm socket and loosen your lug nuts. Then use your floor jack and lift up the car via the jacking point, or from the rear.

IMAG0076.jpg

3) Once you have the wheel off, check and see where exactly it was rubbing from.

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0078-1.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

3.1) If yours is still on there, like mine, unscrew the screw that use to hold the bumper to the fender, and once you have the screw out, yank that plastic holder out of there.

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

4) If your tires are rubbing on part of your bumper, use the angle grinder and slowly grind away pieces of the bumper that it's rubbing on. Remember not to put too much pressure, or leave it on there for too long. You do not want to heat up the paint on the bumper.REMINDER: ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN GRINDING OR DRILLING. AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED TOO!

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

5) Next, you're going to need to use the angle grinder again, but this time you're going to have to grind off the actual metal bumper tab, the one that's on the fender that holds down the bumper to the fender. REMINDER: ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN GRINDING OR DRILLING. AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED TOO!

IMAG0082-1.jpg

6) Once you've ground away the bumper tab, drill a hole (the hole size is up to you and what screw you want to use) about half an inch away from where the old screw use to be. Keep in mind, that while you're drilling, place your hand firmly on the outside of the bumper, and fender in order to keep the bumper and fender FLUSH with each other, so as you're drilling the hole, it will come out straight, and the bumper will be flush with the fender.REMINDER: ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN GRINDING OR DRILLING. AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED TOO!
(Look for the red circle.)

IMAG0082circled.jpg

7) Once you've got your hole, put on your screw through the new hole you've just drilled, and it's optional, but before you put on the screw, you can put one of those spikey thingies that go on before the screw that holds the screw in place... Dunno what they're called exactly. But once you have the screw in, put a locking nut on the other side and tighten them both up tight. (In my case, I didn't have any screws or locking nuts so I opted with Zip Ties for now.)

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

8) After you're done, put your wheel back on, take your car off the jack, and start on the other side :p When you're done with both sides, take your car out for a test drive to make sure that there is no more rubbing.

Here's some wouldbe pr0n for you guys.

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

Last edited:

imaricer:)

Reaction score
ha this is sick man! car looks great too!

ive been wondering what this was and how to do it. thanks!

how do you give rep?

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Click on the button next to your post # :) It's in between the post # and the exclamation mark to report a post.

And thanks :D The wheels really set off the car.

7ender

Reaction score
just an fyi, you dont' actually have to cut the metal part out. If you're familiar with the technique for rolling fenders, you can actually bend it up flat against the fender and it is moved out of the way. Then screw relocation goes as normal.

The plastic however, must be cut.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I don't see why you wouldn't when you already have the angle grinder out and you're already cutting away the plastic right under it. Doesn't make sense not to cut it .. Thanks for your opinion tho ..

7ender

Reaction score
Because some people don't have angle grinders, and you can cut the plastic with something smaller ie a dremel. And imo, it's much cleaner and doesn't take as long to do...so that's why it would make sense not to cut it.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Because some people don't have angle grinders, and you can cut the plastic with something smaller ie a dremel. And imo, it's much cleaner and doesn't take as long to do...so that's why it would make sense not to cut it.

Dremels can also cut through steel. I opted to cut it because it would be easier, and it was handy at the time I was doing this. I would also think that a dremel/angle grinder would be faster. Instead of banging at the metal making sure its as far in as you can get it, you would just simply need to cut it off. Not to mention the steel of the quarter panel was pretty thick. It would take quite a while to hammer it flush. Also, I believe that it would look much cleaner cutting it off because it's the same level as the plastic that you cut, rather than having the piece of plastic from the bumper, then a piece of metal rolled upwards, even though no one will ever see it hahahaha. To each their own though, I made this DIY for people to take into consideration, not to dictate how everyone should do it.

Something else to possibly consider as well
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13628&highlight=relocate

...but good job nevertheless...as long as it works for what you meant it to do.

Thanks :) I also saw that thread, but my wheels were poking out way too much and I needed something much more drastic than that heh, at least until I get a camber kit.

I guess it was one of those "must do" situations because I didn't have much of a choice .. But I just wrote this up for anyone out there that's running into the same issues as me. I actually had to shave everything down even more because it was still rubbing on certain places in there even after I cut it off.

Last edited:
Back