Spark plugs - are they easy to do and worth DIY??

lektrix

Reaction score
Spark plugs - are they easy to do and worth DIY for the Honda Accord 2000 EX Coupe V6???

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Spark plugs are a standard maintenance item, but there are some specifics that go along with it. Search the site, watch some YouTube videos, Google it, etc. Then decide if you can handle it.

If something seems within your grasp or not far from it, you should try DIY'ing it. It's always worth empowering yourself and learning how to do things on your own.

agginline86

Reaction score
spark plugs are a standard maintenance item, but there are some specifics that go along with it. Search the site, watch some youtube videos, google it, etc. Then decide if you can handle it.

If something seems within your grasp or not far from it, you should try diy'ing it. It's always worth empowering yourself and learning how to do things on your own.

+1

Thormx331

Reaction score
I would say they are easy to do especially if you plan on working on your car in the future. My suggestion would be to get the socket seated on the spark plug with the extension using your fingers before you put the socket wrench on so you don't break the spark plug and get a good grip on it

ParisiOT

Reaction score
Spark plugs - are they easy to do and worth DIY for the Honda Accord 2000 EX Coupe V6???

A lot of people/manufactures recommend doing wires, distributor cap and rotor with your plugs. (subject to visual inspection & wear)

Fairly easy to do everything. Just get a youtube video to guide you through it.

simplicity

Reaction score
They are fairly easy as many have already mentioned. Space is tight for the ones in the back, other than that its a piece of cake. Go slow and take your time to research the entire job if this is your first time replacing spark plugs.

Hand tight then torque it down with a torque wrench.

cl206

Reaction score

Mine is a 2000 LX V6. I did them myself and as along as you have the right tools (extensions, SP socket) it should be easy. Also the OEM NGK SP are pretty expensive. I don't remember the cost of these but recently I needed to change the SP on my 2004 MDX. My local dealer wanted $25 each and I asked him if he would price match and he said no. I checked my local Acura dealership and they wanted $36 each :eek:! I didn't even ask him to price match. I got them online for $15 each. I did find another online site that charged $11 for the same SP but I don't know if I trusted that site LOL.
So basically it will cost me 90 to do them on my Acura MDX as opposed to possibly $300+(parts plus labor) at an Acura dealership.

Back