Spark plugs - are they easy to do and worth DIY??

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
NGK Spark Plugs are NGK Spark Plugs are NGK Spark Plugs.

Get the ones you need from the lowest seller. It doesn't matter where that's from because they're all made by NGK! Check out RockAuto.com for the spark plugs there. IIRC, I paid something like $6.50 a plug last year when I did my spark plugs.

cl206

Reaction score

Get the ones you need from the lowest seller. It doesn't matter where that's from because they're all made by NGK! Check out RockAuto.com for the spark plugs there. IIRC, I paid something like $6.50 a plug last year when I did my spark plugs.
Darn, shoulda told me earlier lol. Those same ones I needed are 9.XX at RockAuto and shipping would have been like 3.XX. Oh well! Next time! At least I didnt get them at an Acura dealership. $36 each!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I think mine cost less than $20, I needed them every 100k, when it needed the t-belt (and other ****). Advance Auto Parts!

Easier to reach than a gm v6, fwd OR rwd!

All you need is:
Flat head
10mm socket
Plug (small) socket
Extension
Ratchet

Tightenen then hand tight +1/2 turn.

001Stunna

Reaction score

Just an FYI...not every NGK spark plug is the same. Sometime deals that are too good to be true...are really not true.

Due to some friends being sent fake NGK plus from ebay, i'd say buy from reputable sources.

How to identify fake NGK plugs
http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/

I think mine cost less than $20, I needed them every 100k, when it needed the t-belt (and other ****). Advance Auto Parts!

Easier to reach than a gm v6, fwd OR rwd!

All you need is:
Flat head
10mm socket
Plug (small) socket
Extension
Ratchet

Tightenen then hand tight +1/2 turn.

If i may add to your list...dielectric grease and a torque wrench also if you want to be correct with the tightening.

Also sometimes the rubber in the sparkplug socket gives up and won't hold the plug anymore. In such cases you can use a magnetic pick up tool to pick up the plug.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I put some NGK lazer platinum plugs in my accord

NGK G-Power, ftw

Real mechanics don't use tq wrenches on spark plugs, though I may have a real torque/angle wrench that measures/reads electronically, measure in lb/ft, nw/mt, only costs you about $400 from snap-on. Though it only comes out of my box for important (internal) work.

Last edited:

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Just an FYI...not every NGK spark plug is the same. Sometime deals that are too good to be true...are really not true.

Due to some friends being sent fake NGK plus from ebay, i'd say buy from reputable sources.

How to identify fake NGK plugs
http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/

Which is why I wouldn't buy spark plugs from eBay. A reputable shop like NAPA, O'Reily's, AutoZone, and Rock Auto should have genuine NGK plugs and I'd buy from the lowest bidder at one of those places instead.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Which is why I wouldn't buy spark plugs from eBay. A reputable shop like NAPA, O'Reily's, AutoZone, and Rock Auto should have genuine NGK plugs and I'd buy from the lowest bidder at one of those places instead.

The comment was thrown out simply as you mentioned buying from the lowest possible seller.

NGK G-Power, ftw

Real mechanics don't use tq wrenches on spark plugs...

The only issue is...hand tight to you will never be the same to hand tight to someone else, especially someone who is not a car mechanic. A "real mechanic" who would be using the hand tighten method as he is doing the work himself and most likely knows his limits from experience can't really compare to John Doe doing his sparkplugs for the first time in his garage.

Last edited:
Back