Saying goodbye (probably) :(

Accordx

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It’s been a couple months since I’ve been on here. I’ve got some bittersweet news. Looks like I could be selling my Accord in January. But I’ll be receiving my mom’s 01 BMW X5 4.4i V8 to replace it since she’s probably getting a new car and the BMW only hit 100k miles a couple weeks ago. I’m a little excited to be in something bigger and with more power. My Accord is almost at 170k and the transmission is slipping and the rear main seal is leaking like crazy so it’s just not worth the money to me sadly. I love my Accord, as it’s my first car, it taught me so much, and I have a lot of memories with it. I want to thank everyone on here who offered their advice to me, I’ll try to stay active on here so I can still be a part of the 6GA family. I’ll probably post a parts list of some of the aftermarket stuff that I’d be willing to sell at some point too (black headlights, front lip, 50/50 tails, CAI piping, misc parts). I really wish I could keep this car and swap a new motor and transmission but I’m not in the position to do that. There’s a slight chance that I won’t have to sell it but with the transmission and the oil leak and my lack of cash since I’m saving for college I probably need to drive something else. Thanks for reading, it’s been a good run. Fingers crossed I get to keep it

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Honestly fixing the Accord is going to be easier on your wallet over the long run, between that X5's reliability and maintenance costs plus it being a V8 it will not be nearly as cheap a car to operate and maintain. It has higher running costs due to requiring premium fuel, and oil changes are 4 times as expensive as the 6GA due to requiring several quarts of synthetic oil. The coolant system is known for problems (like on all BMW's of this era), the head gaskets need replacing periodically, and there is large potential for issues with timing chain tensioner and guides (shares engine with e39 540i which also has this issue).

Maybe your parents will take care of that if it happens, but if you are responsible for it, it is going to eat your bank account. Not trying to scare you, just putting this info out there in case you weren't aware. That gen X5 is a good looking car, but BMW's of that era only keep running if you put your money into them. I know because I heavily considerd buying an e39 M5 or 540 Msport when I was looking for a new ride. I still want one someday lol.

Last edited:

Accordx

Reaction score
Honestly fixing the Accord is going to be easier on your wallet over the long run, between that X5's reliability and maintenance costs plus it being a V8 it will not be nearly as cheap a car to operate and maintain. It has higher running costs due to requiring premium fuel, and oil changes are 4 times as expensive as the 6GA due to requiring several quarts of synthetic oil. The coolant system is known for problems (like on all BMW's of this era), the head gaskets need replacing periodically, and there is large potential for issues with timing chain tensioner and guides (shares engine with e39 540i which also has this issue).

Maybe your parents will take care of that if it happens, but if you are responsible for it, it is going to eat your bank account. Not trying to scare you, just putting this info out there in case you weren't aware. That gen X5 is a good looking car, but BMW's of that era only keep running if you put your money into them. I know because I heavily considerd buying an e39 M5 or 540 Msport when I was looking for a new ride. I still want one someday lol.

You have some very good points. Luckily it has low miles and has been well maintained but the fact that it’s a BMW does bother me. My friend has a 01 330ci and it’s had a lot of problems. The issue for me is I think my parents might take over repairs and stuff for the BMW if I drive it, but with the Honda that’s all on me. Wish I could sell both of them and get an is300 or wrx if I really have to sell the Accord but the BMW isn’t my car to sell

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
if your parents are paying for the X5's maintenance, good for u... if u have to pay, i feel bad for u :lawl:

Excuse_M3_DCT

Reaction score

if your parents are paying for the X5's maintenance, good for u... if u have to pay, i feel bad for u :lawl:

Glad to see you two are still around!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Wow blast from the past haha. How's the Accord doing? Or did you get a new daily?

What fun car are you driving around now?

Accordx

Reaction score
Wow, it's been a long time since I've been on the forum, figured I've give a short update to this thread and what's to come for my car. The Accord got parked in January due to the ridiculous amount of oil leaking from the rear main seal and the terrible auto transmission. I started driving the BMW X5 with plans to get a new transmission and work on the Accord this summer before I head to college. Those plans/preparations got put on hold when the X5 failed to start and I had to get it towed home at 3am about a month ago. So in the meantime I got back in my CG which felt great but the rear main seal oil leak has gotten worse (about half a quart every 3 days with minimal driving and idling). Thankfully my dad has been working on the X5 since I've got school and work and honestly no idea what I'm looking at when I pop the hood of the V8 BMW with all its plastic covers lol. The BMW should be back on the road this week, which means the Accord will be parked again. This means I can start looking at the options for the transmission on the Accord. My plan is to get a JDM F23a auto transmission in over the summer so I can drive it sooner rather than later. A V6 and manual swap is something I'd like to do in the future if I end up keeping the car long term but who knows. Anyways, just thought I'd give a little update, I'm still part of the 6th gen fam for a little at least, hope everyone's CGs are treating them well!

Also if anyone has recommendations for where I should get a JDM F23a transmission let me know :)

cg4ever

Reaction score
When i saw the recent threads box with this thread title and below the RedRyder name i was like

giphy.gif

Then i realize you weren't the thread starter :love51:( no homo) :lawl:

To OP, good news you're still keeping your 6th gen !

hope everyone's CGs are treating them well!

For my part too well.. i soon should start my 6th gen thread.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^:lawl: Naw I'll have her until she breaks or is too rusty/faded to drive without feeling embarassed. Either way there will be a partout for some lucky 6GA enthusiast in the distant future. If there are any left. :rofl:

Back