All car electricals turn off and on while driving

mathewtrannn

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls! I just got my first 98 accord for Christmas! It's my first car! Well sometimes when im driving, my electricals like anything on the dash and my stereo unit shuts off and turns back on in an instant, it happens every now and then, not sure what it is ! Hope someone can help! :banghead:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
hmmm...
lights or stereo?

check fuses & turn key on and 'bang' odd places (like dashboard & floor, all places)

die again?
when you rattle______ ?

mathewtrannn

Reaction score
everything runs as normal and every now and then the electronics will switch off and turn back on, for example when im driving at night and my stereo is on, and my lights are on then i turn on high beam, the speedometer will go to 0 and jump back up to the normal speed it like a second, the stereo will turn off and then work again, but i dont have to reboot anything itll just do it itself, its like the car cant handle all the electronics or something hahahah, sorry im not sure im new to this stuff

james'99

Reaction score
As xci stated, try to start the car and then jiggle the key back towards you without going into the accessory mode. If the car dies, replace the ignition switch. Its about $60 aftermarket and about 15 minutes to change. I could give you a procedure if you'd like if this ends up being your issue.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I noticed your from Australia, so 'electrical' may be a common term, but our cars have about 40 separate electrical systems, so we need to know more.

A fix for not knowing whats broken: get a new car.
-our- fix, for a -known- problem may be as little as a fuse.

Griffeycom

Reaction score
My car is doing this exact same thing right now. I've been trying to determine what the issue is. It SEEMS like it's the ignition switch but I am not sure that it isn't the main relay. I am having troubles finding out what a bad main relay causes though...

james'99

Reaction score
Did you try wiggling the key with the engine on and turning it different ways in that it stays in the on position but maybe simulates the issue?

CokeZero

Reaction score
On top of the other suggestions start with the basics.

Make sure the terminals are clean and tight. Make use of the parts house free alternator and battery tests.

There is an ignition switch recall also. if you think that is the problem, take the car to a dealership and have them run your vin for recall work.

Griffeycom

Reaction score
Did you try wiggling the key with the engine on and turning it different ways in that it stays in the on position but maybe simulates the issue?

In my case I cannot get it to reproduce when I wiggle the key around. Mine is not very frequent yet and this morning when it happened it was even shorter than the other 3 times it has happened.

Back