Derek's 2002 Coupe EX (5MT)

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Re: phi1542's 02 Coupe 5-Speed

Haha ,It's a real pain in the but to get to the clutch master cylinder from the hood area when replacing it, my hands are like shovels and there is hard any room to work and push the CMC line into the CMC itself on the firewall and try to get a pin threw it.
Is it possible you used a higher DOT braking fluid like DOT 5 that has a higher wet and dry boiling point causing sluggish response until the engine bay has heat soaked enough to allow the fluid to work at proper temp?
Considering it is colder right now it would have to work harder till up to temp to get moving?

Just throwing some ideas out there for yah to get the ball rolling. :)

phi1542

Reaction score

Haha ,It's a real pain in the but to get to the clutch master cylinder from the hood area when replacing it, my hands are like shovels and there is hard any room to work and push the CMC line into the CMC itself on the firewall and try to get a pin threw it.
Is it possible you used a higher DOT braking fluid like DOT 5 that has a higher wet and dry boiling point causing sluggish response until the engine bay has heat soaked enough to allow the fluid to work at proper temp?
Considering it is colder right now it would have to work harder till up to temp to get moving?

Just throwing some ideas out there for yah to get the ball rolling. :)

I used Lucas synthetic dot 4 fluid which is ok right? when it heats up the biting point is way too high. I can't get it to be at the perfect spot. could this just be a bad master cylinder replacement?

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score

The DOT 4's boiling point wet and dry are higher no doubt. I believe our cars call for DOT3 which is a lower boiling point for wet and dry and gets up to operational temp much quicker because of this.

It is also possible it's a janky CMC but since it's new my bet might be on that fluid in cold temps which takes it even longer to be more fluid like after taking on heat from the engine bay.

The cheaper of the two is the fluid obviously so I would start with a really good flush there with DOT3 and you might require a little adjustment when switching back considering the shaft was adjusted pretty far out I am assuming and once it warms up it that extra adjustment could make it feel like a " Up high engagement" possibly, could start building that pressure of a hydo clutch you have come to know over the years.

But start with the cheaper fluid and then if need be move onto possible quality control issue of the CMC you got which can happen from time to time.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score

Boiling point - DRY - Wet

DOT3 - 401*F - 284*F

DOT 4 - 446*F - 311*F

DOT 5 - 500*F - 356*F

DOT 5.1- 518*F - 374*F

phi1542

Reaction score

The DOT 4's boiling point wet and dry are higher no doubt. I believe our cars call for DOT3 which is a lower boiling point for wet and dry and gets up to operational temp much quicker because of this.

It is also possible it's a janky CMC but since it's new my bet might be on that fluid in cold temps which takes it even longer to be more fluid like after taking on heat from the engine bay.

The cheaper of the two is the fluid obviously so I would start with a really good flush there with DOT3 and you might require a little adjustment when switching back considering the shaft was adjusted pretty far out I am assuming and once it warms up it that extra adjustment could make it feel like a " Up high engagement" possibly, could start building that pressure of a hydo clutch you have come to know over the years.

But start with the cheaper fluid and then if need be move onto possible quality control issue of the CMC you got which can happen from time to time.

ok thanks for the help man! Thats probably where I effed up lol the cap said dot 3 or 4 and I had some dot 4 so I just used that.

phi1542

Reaction score
I bled the system with dot 3 and it didn't do anything so I had the car checked by a professional mechanic. He took a look and said the the rods that were used in the master cylinder was way too long so that's why there was no play. It was easier and would save me money if he just cut the rod on the slave cylinder shorter. So he did that and I've been driving the car around for a couple weeks now. The clutch engagement does still get higher after I drive around for a while. But not as bad as before. But even when it does there is at least a little play in the clutch pedal so that's good. I guess I have a mad MC but it would be too much to replace it again so I guess I will just suck it up for now. What do you guys think about the clutch engagement getting higher after I drive more???? Bad MC?

Last edited:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score

:)

You screwed up using DoT 5. It's silicone based, and doesn't mix with DoT 3 or 4 (those 2 will intermix). If you're looking at topping up a stock system, then you can use either DoT 3, or Dot 4.

Sorry but the 2 don't inter mix.
Now if you're looking at going to DoT 5, you'll have to do a full drain and fill of the system (power flush here is ok).

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score

You screwed up using DoT 5. It's silicone based, and doesn't mix with DoT 3 or 4 (those 2 will intermix). If you're looking at topping up a stock system, then you can use either DoT 3, or Dot 4.

Sorry but the 2 don't inter mix.
Now if you're looking at going to DoT 5, you'll have to do a full drain and fill of the system (power flush here is ok).

I know I used dot 4 not 5. I recently did another bleed with dot 3. No changes

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
If you have changed the fluid out and adjusted the CMC all you can with no change to peddle feel, I would be leaning towards the CMC not being 100% right for your application and or poor quality control in manufacturing.

There simply is nothing more to a clutch system other then a slave, cmc , clutch disk, pressure plate and fly wheel. that's pretty much it.

There is really nothing more you can "Do or adjust" past those parts to change the throw or bite position for the clutch.

I know when my clutch was on it's way out it would bite kind of high until finally you could no longer select a gear while the car was running.

phi1542

Reaction score
If you have changed the fluid out and adjusted the CMC all you can with no change to peddle feel, I would be leaning towards the CMC not being 100% right for your application and or poor quality control in manufacturing.

There simply is nothing more to a clutch system other then a slave, cmc , clutch disk, pressure plate and fly wheel. that's pretty much it.

There is really nothing more you can "Do or adjust" past those parts to change the throw or bite position for the clutch.

I know when my clutch was on it's way out it would bite kind of high until finally you could no longer select a gear while the car was running.

I see. Yeah cuz the whole clutch assembly is pretty new too. The mechanic did a temporary fix but I will have the CMC replaced again by a professional this time. Gotta wait on that though. Too much money. Thanks for your help!

Back