Painting Intake

00blackedaccord

Reaction score
ok got the dent out now :afro: :peace: ...all it took was getting a pipe that is close to the diameter of the tube and slowly worked it in with some WD40 and pushed it out....now what color to paint it? anybody have any experience anodizing? know if it will with stand the heat? or should i just go ahead and get the high heat motor paint and maybe clear it?
2z6w2vc.jpg

2yzegb6.jpg

2nbg4n4.jpg

00blackedaccord

Reaction score
decided on some primer to even everythin out and put some gloss black high heat paint on it that i had out in the garage and about finished with the coats of black....clear tomorrow probably and ill put the finished product up...

00blackedaccord

Reaction score
heres the final product....painted it gloss black obviously...i think it blends well....not real flashy but gives it a better look....tell me what u guys think of final product...and has a lil more sound now when accelerating but nothing to major only when opened up...
441cv1d.jpg

2vcff4p.jpg

2ni6yap.jpg

Last edited:

simplicity

Reaction score
Nice DIY.

I am doing this right now with my old RS Akimito Intake.

Ordered a new K&N filter and decided to clean up the pipe...pretty dirty and lotsa hard gunk on it.

I decided to get some primer and sanded it with 400 grit and sprayed about 2 coats of black primer.

Waited about 30 mins then sanded it with 1500 grit and sprayed some high temp enamel glossy black.

Is it necessary to spray a coat of clear? If so, do they have special clear coats for engine paint?

00blackedaccord

Reaction score
i just used regular clear and just put about a coat or 2 on it...came out lookin good i thought...just make sure u let it dry real good before putting it on....

simplicity

Reaction score
Yeah I might just use some regular clear coat too...the intake pipe don't get too hot anyways, at least its not HOT to the touch whenever I check.

My filter isn't even shipped yet so I won't be messing with this for a few days, I'll let the paint cure and then spray a couple layers of clear coat.

BTW, where did you find the black rubber hoses and clamps? Did they come with your AEM SRI? I got yellow ones with my SRI and it will stick out like a sore thumb if I kept them...haha

Back