DIY how to make your clock light red in 5min UPDATED PICS

-bl-

Reaction score
So this thread is done from my 98 accord, i am planning on changing all my gauge cluster lights to LED red but i couldn't really get an LED red bulb for my clock... this is what i did to change my clock to red. I know i have seen one other DIY on this but I thought why not show a unique way of changing the colour.

What you will need:
1. a flat tip screw driver
2. Red sharpie

Step 1: using a flat tip pry out the clock from the bottom of the clock, i used a key ><
IMG_0444.jpg

Step 2: There are 2 connectors holding it in place, so hold down the clips and pull them out as seen in the pics
IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Step 3: for easier access to the bulb remove the black cover over the clock internals. There are 4 clips, 2 on the top side, 1 on the bottom and another in-between the large connector
IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

Step 4: twist the bulb out
IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg
that grey circular piece is the bulb that needs to be twisted
Step 5: using a Red permanent sharpie colour all over the bulb until it is a nice red.
IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Step 6: put it back together by twisting the bulb back in, followed by reattaching the black cover into the clips covering the clock internals, then re connect the connectors and push the clock in the dash.

Here is how it looks:
IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Last edited:

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
Re: DIY how to make your clock light red in 5min

:lawl: ghetto.

think i might try this with a blue sharpie :hide:

-bl-

Reaction score

You don't have to take the back cover off to take that bulb out

no you dont i know that but its a lot easier to untwist the bulb with it off, theres little space when it is on. I mean yeah you can use a screw driver and untwist it that way but i was kinda using my hands at the time so i took it off for easier access.

cjsaccord

Reaction score

That is a good diy but you can do that for almost any bulb in your car, the only problem you might run into in the future is fading from the bulb being on 24/7 while the car is running. Just spend the $2 on l.e.d's imo.

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score

good idea. If my bulb didnt blow and I bought a blue one I would have tried this....

Back