"Big Three / Grounding Kit" - Improving your electrical grounds

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
I saw that 0 gauge wire can accept a max fuse size of 345 amps and 2/0 can accept 430 amps from here

so I might just use a 500 amp ANL fuse to be on the safe side

Nice find with that link, but your reasoning is somewhat backwards. To be safer, you'd use a smaller fuse, not a larger one.

Fuzz

Reaction score
The fuse you have in the picture is from the Alternator Output (Positive) to the Positive Battery Terminal.

The Alternator is internally grounded through the mounting bolts.

I am surprised that most people ran their power wire across the engine bay from the Alternator, right in front of the exhaust. I would expect the fuse holder / wire shielding to melt. My wire goes up and behind the rad support, completely out of site, and away from all of the heat.

slaiguy

Reaction score
do they sell a good grounding kit anywhere?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Would I do just as well off using 4 gauge insted of 0?

Please see post 1.

WILDMAN This one's for you:

As for size, I recommend just doing it right the first time and buying 1/0 gauge wire.

-Ring Terminals - Get whatever size to match your wire. You'll use 3, so just buy 2 pair. Make sure it is Gold or Platinum plated, other than that, you can just get what's affordable (no reason to spend $8 on a pair of ring terminals if you can get some for $1 lol)

I got the 1/0 gauge "wire". It's actually what they called a welding "cable" at the store. It has a high copper strand count obviously. Now my question is about the ring terminals. In your post you said to "Make sure it is Gold or Platinum plated, other than that, you can just get what's affordable (no reason to spend $8 on a pair of ring terminals if you can get some for $1 lol)". Could you please elaborate?

img2289kl1.jpg

As you can see I got the copper ones from the same welding supply store. Is there a reason it should necessarily be gold/platinum over copper? Would those copper ones be just as good as gold/platinum?

The guy at the store said that's what they use to ground their welding machines.

Please get back to me and thanks.

Last edited:

dynasty

Reaction score
if you learn chemistry, copper attracts electricity better than gold/platinum. which i'm taking chemistry 2 in the summer. booo!! but let me know if you need help nikita. i'm free next week bud

matty2013

Reaction score
I thought gold was a better electrical contact, you know since they use it in high end stereo quipment, keep in mind that copper CORODES like a mofo too

madaccord

Reaction score
can i use like 4 guage audio cable? since i have some leftover?

Back