Trim/Year: LX 2002
Engine: F23
Trans: Manual
Mileage: 136k

Symptoms:
- no check engine light during idle or light load
- light sputtering from exhaust
- noticeable hesitation under load between 1-2k rpm
- under load the check engine light will illuminate and blink resulting in a P1399 (random misfire), cyl 1

First level troubleshooting:
- Examined original plugs, no traces of burnt plugs or oil saturation
- Replaced spark plugs with NGK
- disconnected Alternator (green plug)

No noticeable improvement

Second level troubleshooting:
- while running at idle, disconnected spark plug
+ Cyl 4, when disconnected, spark seen, engine performance drops
+ Cyl 3, when disconnected, spark seen, engine performance drops
+ Cyl 2, when disconnected, spark seen, engine performance drops
+ Cyl 1, when disconnected, spark seen, engine performance drops

General maintenance done regularly and fairly on schedule (within 5-10k miles of recommendation). When I bought the car at 82k I replaced the spark plug wires with bosch platinum, plugs with NGK and distro cap with AutoZone house brand.

BTW, I've read a number of posts here and a few other sites so thanks for all the historical data. Nothing seems to directly point to a solution so it must not be a common issue. Most posts resulting in the following actions:
- replace distro
- replace rotor (rare)
- pressure test, resulting in bad cyl or exhaust valve

Other notes: Fuel injector cleaner (stp) was ran over the past 2-3 tanks prior to this occurring, also over the past 1-2 months I've driven 2k+ miles mostly highway, speeding of course.

I have access to Android Torque so any data that you want I can pull from the logs if needed. I can also post videos if that helps, I have a couple hunches but overall I'm at a loss and I don't want to walk each small fix if there is something that I'm completely missing before I take this thing in.

Thanks in advance 6ga.

kn0x47

Reaction score
you replaced the rotor button? the replacement distributor cap was the same design as the old one? oil in the distributor?

WilDFirE

Reaction score
you replaced the rotor button? the replacement distributor cap was the same design as the old one? oil in the distributor?

When the dist cap was replaced at 82k, no oil was found. Rotor button hasn't been changed (nor do I know what it is, derp) although it is the same as the prev Oem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kn0x47

Reaction score
When the dist cap was replaced at 82k, no oil was found. Rotor button hasn't been changed (nor do I know what it is, derp) although it is the same as the prev Oem

rotor button is under the distributor cap and it's supposed to be changed at the same time

WilDFirE

Reaction score
rotor button is under the distributor cap and it's supposed to be changed at the same time

..... (-‸ლ) ok, I'll take a look tonight.

Last edited:

WilDFirE

Reaction score
Ok, replaced the rotor seems to be an improvement but still hesitates a little bit so I'm going to go ahead and replace the dist and wires, come to find out that AZ is going to warranty those parts [emoji41]

WilDFirE

Reaction score
Ok, replaced the rotor seems to be an improvement but still hesitates a little bit so I'm going to go ahead and replace the dist and wires, come to find out that AZ is going to warranty those parts [emoji41]

Update.

My wires were Bosch so they had lifetime warranty along with my distributor cap. Swapped both of those out and things seem to be running normally again. Color me skeptical but I'm surprised that wires can go bad within 50k miles, does that seem early or just perhaps bad wires?

On a related note I snapped one of the screws for the cap [emoji24] so I'll need to fix that somehow. Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Back