Engine losing a lot of oil - black smoke from exhaust

SuperDrewb

Reaction score
Hi there,
Ive got a 2002 Accord EX 5 Speed with 191k miles. I just last night drove it 670 miles. I filled my oil right before the trip, and checked it again after burning a half tank of gas, and it was well out of oil. Had to add 2.5 quarts to get it to the top of the dip stick. Ending up going through over 4 quarts the whole trip, which is obviously ridiculous.

About a week ago the engine threw a P1399 random misfire code. I replaced two spark plugs and haven't seen it since.

There is a recurring EVAP code - P1456, which also didn't show up on the trip.

Air filter is relatively clean. Just checked all of the spark plugs and none of them are coated with oil. The car seems all stock, no crazy mods.

I started the car this morning and let it run for a few minutes, then gassed in neutral up to 4k and it shot black smoke out like a diesel engine each time, actually staining the ground.

Tagged as urgent as I need the car to get me back home. Thanks in advance.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
You need to put in some work or put in a used motor, if your burning that much oil it must be addressed. Shooting out black smoke indicates internal issues. Sounds like rings or valve seals.

dawg316

Reaction score
Hi there,
Ive got a 2002 Accord EX 5 Speed with 191k miles. I just last night drove it 670 miles. I filled my oil right before the trip, and checked it again after burning a half tank of gas, and it was well out of oil. Had to add 2.5 quarts to get it to the top of the dip stick. Ending up going through over 4 quarts the whole trip, which is obviously ridiculous.

About a week ago the engine threw a P1399 random misfire code. I replaced two spark plugs and haven't seen it since.

There is a recurring EVAP code - P1456, which also didn't show up on the trip.

Air filter is relatively clean. Just checked all of the spark plugs and none of them are coated with oil. The car seems all stock, no crazy mods.

I started the car this morning and let it run for a few minutes, then gassed in neutral up to 4k and it shot black smoke out like a diesel engine each time, actually staining the ground.

Tagged as urgent as I need the car to get me back home. Thanks in advance.

missfires probably due to low compression. if you burning through that much oil your rings or valve seals are probably gone

time to source a good used engine

SuperDrewb

Reaction score
missfires probably due to low compression. if you burning through that much oil your rings or valve seals are probably gone

time to source a good used engine

Compression tested her yesterday, most cylinders measured around 160psi, while one did measure 150. Still within the range of I believe 24psi stated in the manual I downloaded.

Going to see if I can get a leak down tester tomorrow, will post my findings.

Thank you all for your replies.

Back