Acura RL BBK Upgrade

KnightRyder

Reaction score
So after seeing several CLs, 2G TLs, 3G TLs, and a couple 7G Accords do this swap, I've finally decided to do it. has anyone done it on a 6gen? I'll document my progress as best as i can.

one thing to note: Im doing this whole project along side my friend with a 3rd gen TL so you may see double the amount of parts in some of the pics. we're doing the swap with the exact same parts for both cars and the install will be at the same time too. only difference is he is not going to use SS brake lines, i am.

Parts i'm using:

• 12.8" 2005 350Z (Brembo version) Rotors... (i'm using PowerSlot Rotors)
  • 2006 Acura RL 4 Piston Calipers
  • Caliper rebuild kits (im powdercoating the calipers so the seals and everything have to come out, so its best to replace them with new parts)
  • EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads for 2006 Acura RL Calipers
  • ATE Super Blue DOT4 Brake Fluid
  • Fastline Stainless Steel Brakes lines from a 99-03 TL (i won these in a raffle at AcuraFest, winning these things is what jump started this project, only cost me $5 in tickets :D )
  • Custom made bracket to fit the RL Caliper on the Accord made by NVA-AV6

Calipers taken apart, pistons and seals removed, ready for parts washer (these are my friends calipers, mine were already clean)...
imag0099r.jpg

After coming out of the parts washer, as clean as they're going to get before media blasting at the powder coaters...
imag0101y.jpg

My friends caliper bolts before...
imag0104v.jpg

His bolts after i attacked them with a wire wheel to remove corrosion and rust, media blasting should take care of the rest.
imag0107u.jpg

*I will not be using the same bolts because the previous owner of mine had the calipers rebuilt and his mechanic stripped the head on one of the bolts, so after going through hell removing it, i looked for a replacement and NOBODY ANYWHERE sells a replacement like it so i had to replace them all with Class 12.9 Hex head bolts and some Stainless Steel washers.

These are the pins that hold the shield in place at the top of the caliper after inserting brade pads, not sure what the technical name of the shield is but whatever, before and after the wire wheel...
imag0106bp.jpg

Now onto MY Calipers...
Being as im putting these on my HONDA, i didnt want the ACURA logo so i decided to grind it off but before i did, i needed to find a suitable replacement font to get a decal made. I really dont like the OG Honda font with all those wierd block as the ends of the letters so i threw that font out the door right away. I do however like the font used on the ACURA logo but i searched and searched and searched online and couldnt find the damn thing, all i found was the NSX logo which is slightly different and too short and too wide. being the perfectionist that i am, that wasnt going to cut it for me.

so being how i am, in my head the decision was already made and set in stone, somehow get the ACURA font and write out HONDA. and since i came up empty handed i got reaalllllly creative. i busted out my OG photoshop skills and manually turned ACURA into HONDA like so....

H= take the upright column of the R, duplicate it and space them apart, and add a cross beam to make the H.
O= take the C (or U), duplicate it, flip the copy horizontally and attached the two Cs together to make the O
N= take the upright column of the R, duplicate it and space them apart, then take a 3rd column, extend it and connect the opposing corners to make my N.
D= take the C and the upright of the R, put them together and flip it horizontally to make the D.
A= i used the same A.

BINGO!!!!!

then i made the font a little bolder till i was happy with it...
draft3.jpg

with the logo taken care of, i moved onto the physical work of removing the ACURA logo...
imag0105.jpg

It's as smooth as its gonna get, the powdercoat will hide any minor flaws.

Here are both his and my pistons, pins, and shield after being cleaned...
imag0108m.jpg

thats its for now.

everything has been ordered for both cars so im just waiting on delivery. then i'll have to get them powdercoated. I'm thinking of color matching them to my Hyper Silver wheels and using gloss black on the bolt heads and HONDA decal.

oh and to answer the question im sure many of you will have... Why not just buy an aftermarket kit?
1. not looking to spend a grand or more for a legit bbk.
2. the entry level 4 piston wilwood kit makes all sorts of squeals and whatnot according to several people i've spoken with.
3. replacement rotors and pads are STUPID expensive on the wilwood kit. im using almost all OEM parts so replacements are "cheap."
4. OEM Calipers > Low-end Aftermarket.

KnightRyder

Reaction score
ATE Super Blue brake fluid (~1.5L or less for each car) and EBC Red Stuff brake pads...
imag0109e.jpg

Last edited:

KnightRyder

Reaction score
HOw much is this project running you?

this setup will cost a little more than the entry level 4 piston wilwood kit but much less than any other higher end bbk.

keep in mind i utilized as many coupons/promotions i could find so the typical price for these things might be higher without those coupons and promotoions.

• Powerslot 350Z Rotors + 2 Caliper rebuild kits from Rockauto.com with 5% off promotion code (42224893475817): $206.41 shipped
  • EBC RedStuff Brake Pads for the RL Calipers with 10% off code (EBC10) from placeforbrakes.com : $84.96 shipped
  • ATE Super Blue Brake fluid (2 1L cans, should be able to get by with just 1 can but im being safe) from Amazon.com: $30.28 shipped (2 1L cans)
  • Stainless Steel Brake lines: ~$90-$110 depending on brand and store (i won mine in a raffle so i didnt have to pay for this)
  • Custom bracket to make the calipers fit the accord by NVA-AV6 from V6P: $135 shipped
  • Acura RL Calipers: i paid $350 (but can be found at junk yards etc for anywhere between $200-$400)

MY personal total build cost including the "free" brake lines: $806.65

Typical cost assuming you buy all parts with coupons or promotion like me: $746.65-$966.65

it all depends how much you get the calipers for and how many good deals you find on parts.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
I mean you're spending just as much as a entry level kit, but maintenance wise, it'll be easier and cheaper .. I like this mod!

Keep us posted!

KnightRyder

Reaction score
yes thats true but you wont have that stupid squeal that comes "standard" with those entry level 4 piston kits. ive spoken to 3 people that have that bbk and all of them say they make noises. ive read several threads regarding this RL bbk upgrade on AcuraZine and the only thing they complain about is how hard it is to find a cheap set of calipers.

oh and forgot to mention... these will require a 17" rim with a pretty decently low offset to clear, just like any other bbk. i know that these will clear 3rd gen TL wheels though. i have a set on the way as my rainy season rims. proof on a CL...
IMG_20101014_172503.jpg

Last edited:
Back