car won't start!!

kn0x47

Reaction score
long version:
my gf's cg has idled low for a long time so i decided to clean the throttle body. I ended up spraying cleaning into the hole for the IACV and when i tried to start it later on the car came on, rpms went up to about 2500 for a sec then they dropped and the car completely shut off and wouldnt come back on.

I assumed there was cleaner up in the IACV so i completely removed the throttle body and IACV to clean them, replaced the gaskets (found out the vacuum hose to the IACV was cracked so I replaced that too, which i assume caused the idling issue). When i put everything back together I forgot to plug in the TP sensor and accidentally plugged the connector for the TP into the map sensor.

sooo... after getting a check engine light for that, smelling burnt gas and the car not staying on I figured out what I did wrong and fixed it. After clearing the check engine light and having it back together correctly I turned it on, the rpms went up to 2500 for a sec then the car shut off again and wouldnt come back on. I've figured out that the fuel pump isnt coming on everytime I turn the key. If i unplug the battery, wait a bit, then plug it back in the car comes on, rpms go up to 2500 then shuts off. Every time after that I don't hear the fuel pump come on unless i disconnect/reconnect the battery again.

Short version: after trying to clean the throttle body and getting cleaner into the IACV the rpms jump to 2500 then the car shuts off and won't come back on. I've noticed I cant here the fuel pump come on unless i disconnect then reconnect the battery and whenever I do that the car comes on, rpms up to 2500 then it shuts off

fuel pump fuse is fine, there's no check engine code and I can hear the main relay coming on

HELP!!! I have 2 weeks to fix this and several other things on her car before she gets back from China

chaby_91

Reaction score
You have a scanner? I'd check the live data for both tp and map sensors. also crank, knock, any that is engine related.

It seems like your pcm cuts power to the fuel pump for some reason.

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score
well i can't get any info that seems useful sense it wont stay on for more than a sec or 2. it says throttle position is at 10% and the IM vacuum is about 27 in.hg even tho the motor isnt even on.

found out i have to leave the battery disconnect for a good while for the fuel pump to finally come back on and erasing the ECU using the scanner doesn't help to fuel pump to come back on. Could I have flooded the engine? Is the car smart enough not to turn the fuel pump on if there's already too much pressure in the system?

The last time the fuel pump came on i tried starting it with the gas peddle floored and that just seemed to make it die quicker. It smelt like burnt fuel after that

chaby_91

Reaction score
> check the data with car on engine off
> check the data with engine on
> check the data when stalling

> > check all engine related sensors <
>if the engine starts, it's not flooded
>check tps by pressing on the acceleration pedal. check if % goes up and down with the pedal
>27 in.hg is low atmospheric pressure. Pressure should be around 17-21 when engine idling and 3-5 at full throttle, engine running
>crank : 0 when off, around 300 when starting and idle when idling.
>engine coolant temperature : room temp when engine off

>there may be more
>look for something wrong or write down all the numbers here
>going to bed now

kn0x47

Reaction score
thanks for the effort chaby. turns out the motor was just flooded. probably from trying to start it with the sensors hooked up wrong. i took out the spark plugs for a couple of hours today then cranked it back up this evening. took a few tries but its working perfectly now.

kn0x47

Reaction score
Yup. I was really afraid I screwed up her car. Know I can finally get back to doing some maintenance on her car and mine

Back