Speedometer drops to zero

mathewtrannn

Reaction score
Hey guys ! i'm getting the same problem, its like all electricals turn off and on in an instant, things like my anything on my dash and me stereo unit.. Im not sure whats wrong with it, New to the car industry its my first car :Boo:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Since I started this thread it hasn't happened to me except for one other time and that lasted about 10 seconds

Jordan_H

Reaction score
My speedometer is messed up again but this time the acceleration is different but still not cel. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the vss not being completely broken because it still tries to work but still drops to zero. Anyone have a suggestion on where to pick up a new speed sensor? For an f23a1 5mt

james'99

Reaction score
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1998&catcgry3=4DR+EX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=MT+CLUTCH+RELEASE

78410-S84-A01

That's probably your cheapest new OEM part you'll be able to get.

Otherwise, I'm sure other auto parts stores should be able to order 'em in.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-intermotor-vehicle-speed-sensor-s41014/18481026-P?searchTerm=speed+sensor

The only issue I have with your theory on it being the sensor is that fact that once continuity is lost in the speed sensor circuit, it would throw that P0500 code. So unless maybe it is a mechanical issue in the sensor? Totally possible I suppose.

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
My other thought is it could be the 3 wires coming off the vss is messed up on the connection to the vss but I have a feeling it is the vss itself that just hasn't completely failed yet because my speedometer will come back to normal after a little bit and that's why it hasn't throw a cel yet? I should probably drive around longer and hope it completely fails that way I can know for sure that is the issue

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Just saw someone posting about this in the FB group, it was their VSS I believe. Take a look, might be some good insight there. Might have to scroll down a bit.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I did post this in a Facebook group actually lol. What I'm really wondering is if all f series vss are interchangeable because one for an f22 is cheaper than the f23 by a considerable amount.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Maybe that was you then lol.

If you can get a look at the wiring diagrams for them, you could compare.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I looked into the issue and noticed the wires coming off the sensor were messed up. I bought a new plug with pigtails and I wired it up last night. STILL NOT WORKING. Still no cel. This car is making me so mad. Finally get enough money to buy new suspension and my car doesn't want to cooperate

james'99

Reaction score
I looked into the issue and noticed the wires coming off the sensor were messed up. I bought a new plug with pigtails and I wired it up last night. STILL NOT WORKING. Still no cel. This car is making me so mad. Finally get enough money to buy new suspension and my car doesn't want to cooperate

Did you ever purchase the sensor?

Back