hid relay

guytv

Reaction score
Does anybody here that uses hid also uses a relay? Because when I use a relay it seems to drain the battery within a couple of weeks. After a couple of weeks of using it, the car struggles to turn on. It is not until I stop using the relay or charge the battery when the car works as normal.:shrug:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I used a relay harness with my HID's for a few years and never experienced that, definitely shouldn't be happening. I'd test the battery to make sure it's good.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
No way a relay should drain the battery.

A solid state relay might have a tiny amount of leakage current, but if working properly, your clock will draw more power than that.

A magnetic relay should have zero leakage current. It is an open switch when it's off.

guytv

Reaction score
Battery is good.:waytogo: Do you know if the hid and relay combo uses only the battery even when the alternator is working?

SupraGuy

Reaction score
That makes no sense.

You can think of it like this: EVERYTHING uses the battery for electrical power. the alternator charges the battery. It's like using your phone while it's plugged in. If your phone is using less power than the charger can provide, the battery charges. If your phone is using more power than the charger can provide, the battery discharges. Your car is the same way.

HID headlights, for what it's worth, use less power than the stock ones, so HID lights should not cause problems that you don't have with the stock headlights.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Maybe your alternator is failing to charge the battery. What is your voltage with the engine running? It should be over 14 volts and a good battery sits around 12.5

guytv

Reaction score
Maybe your alternator is failing to charge the battery. What is your voltage with the engine running? It should be over 14 volts and a good battery sits around 12.5

That's what I was thinking as well. I means it's the oem alternator with 225xxx miles on it. I'm thinking it might be failing to charge properly or enough. But I will check the voltages.

guytv

Reaction score
So, I checked the voltages. I get around 12.45 from the battery sitting (it jumped around from 12.45 to 12.5). With the car on I got around 14.5. 14.4 with the headlights on, and 14.30 with everything on (headlights, radio, ac). So, the alternator and the battery seems to be good.:waytogo:

Back