Removing aftermarket remote starter

ThatDesiKid

Reaction score
When I bought my car, it came with a remote start system installed from the previous owner. When I bought it, the car didn't come with the remote and only had one key when I bought it.

Whoever installed this system did a godawful job, because sometimes my steering wheel control will skip a track when I try to raise the volume and it allows me to lock the car if I leave the keys in the ignition....which has led to me locking myself out multiple times since I don't have a remote and need to manually lock the doors.

Does anyone know how I should go about removing this janky system or should I get a professional to remove it for me. The system is over 10 years old so the remote has been discontinued and there is no replacement. The starter is a Crimestopper CoolStart RS900er.

Thanks guys!

-Taseen

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You can either remove the whole system, or just remove the point at which it gets power. Just a matter of looking at wiring diagrams and/or tracing wires, which could be a pita. Might be worth getting quotes to have it removed, but they could mess up your OEM wiring if they don't know what they are doing/looking for.

ThatDesiKid

Reaction score
Lol yeah I'm probably gonna have someone take a look. If the price is right then I'll go for it with my fingers crossed

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

lashlee

Reaction score
Just be wary that it (the remote start brain) may have included a starter kill circuit and disabling the unit may make your car never start. I would research which brand/model and see what features it's supposed to include. If it's anything like the one I had in my car, it has wiring going to both fuse blocks, the trunk, and underhood. There is a chance that you can source a new harness that runs from the key cylinder to the drivers side fuse block and not have to worry about re-splicing wiring for the main power/starter and horn (if equipped). It's a short harness and easily replaceable.

Back