Seafoaming a 140,000k V6

irtiza18

Reaction score
When I first got this car, we changed the oil to synthetic and I think it was around high 137,000k. Now it's around 140,815k and I'm thinking of doing seafoam. But there's some disadvantages such as carbon holding the engine together and stuff. So is it worth going foward with seafoaming the engine?

james'99

Reaction score
When I first got this car, we changed the oil to synthetic and I think it was around high 137,000k. Now it's around 140,815k and I'm thinking of doing seafoam. But there's some disadvantages such as carbon holding the engine together and stuff. So is it worth going foward with seafoaming the engine?

I have done it on engines with much higher mileage than that. Honda's especially. I think if the engine is healthy and doesn't really have issues, I would go for it. I would clean the spark plugs after as well as to defoul them. 140k is relatively low mileage on a Honda in my opinion.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Ive done it to many cars as well as my v6.

I do a third can in each. Oil, gastank, vacuum line.

I usually put it in the oil about 500 miles before the next oil change is due.

irtiza18

Reaction score
When we put synthetic oil. We've also put new spark plugs so that's advantage. The old ones shown the usual wear.

Seafoam designed another bottle where it has this sninny small tube to connect to the bottle. And you stick in in your air intake. And you spray into your throttle body direction (saw it on Chris Fix, he did on a 08 civic) and it looked pretty safe basically a one step process.

Can I use that or the usual seafoam bottle? And why do I have to default the spark plugs after?

irtiza18

Reaction score
I have done it on engines with much higher mileage than that. Honda's especially. I think if the engine is healthy and doesn't really have issues, I would go for it. I would clean the spark plugs after as well as to defoul them. 140k is relatively low mileage on a Honda in my opinion.
The only problem is that stupid IACV which is not bothering me as much. The engine runs great

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
You can use the standard seafoam bottle and do what I recommended in post #3.

Never had to do anything with the spark plugs, nor did I have any issues with them.

irtiza18

Reaction score
You can use the standard seafoam bottle and do what I recommended in post #3.

Never had to do anything with the spark plugs, nor did I have any issues with them.
How many miles was your v6 when you did it, what improvements you've got out of it?

james'99

Reaction score
When we put synthetic oil. We've also put new spark plugs so that's advantage. The old ones shown the usual wear.

Seafoam designed another bottle where it has this sninny small tube to connect to the bottle. And you stick in in your air intake. And you spray into your throttle body direction (saw it on Chris Fix, he did on a 08 civic) and it looked pretty safe basically a one step process.

Can I use that or the usual seafoam bottle? And why do I have to default the spark plugs after?

Plugs can become fouled by carbon and such while seafoaming.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
How many miles was your v6 when you did it, what improvements you've got out of it?

I did it around 210,xxx miles ran a little rough for a few days as I assume the spark plugs were de-fouling. After that it ran a little better, for sure idled much smoother.

Plugs can become fouled by carbon and such while seafoaming.

Totally makes sense. I just let it burn off for a couple days. Haven't had a car that ran significantly worse after treatment. For me, at most, it idled a little on the rough side but cleared up within a few drives.

If it happens that I do a car in the future and it fouls out the plugs bad enough, then I'll take them out and clean them as you stated.

Back