IACV Issues?

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
On Sunday I took apart my throttle body to clean out the IACV because my car's idle would go from the normal 900 RPM to ~300 RPM whenever at idle. This only happen when the engine was warm though. With a cold engine, this would never happen. My car's acceleration was also a bit bogged down from what I remember when I first got it several years ago. So after doing some searching and asking a few questions, everything pointed to clean out the IACV, so I did that.

I also decided to take apart my intake manifold to clean out the EGR port since it was just an extra 10 bolts or whatever to get to it.

After I got everything put back together, I started up my car and the RPMs shot straight up to 2,500RPM for about 10 seconds or so and then dropped to 1,500 RPM. I originally figured that since I did not remove the battery terminals to clear out the PCM that it was the PCM trying to adjust itself to the cleaned out IACV. Additionally, I thought that there might have been some residual cleaning solutions left in the intake manifold, throttle body, and/or the IACV which may have caused the RPMs to be so erratic. I did some driving at WOT to try and "clear" out any residual cleaning solution left in the intake manifold, throttle body, and IACV. But when I got back home, the RPM pattern had changed to the RPMs jumping between 1,100 RPM - 1,500 RPM whenever in Park or Neutral. If the car is stopped while in gear, the RPMs will remain steady at 1,100 RPM. I know that this is still too high and the RPMs should really be at 900 RPM is everything good. I initially drove my car for about 3 miles right after getting everything put back together and then a few hours later, I drove my car to my cousin's house - a 30 mile trip one way - which I thought for sure would have burned off any remaining cleaning solution and cleared out the PCM to the cleaned out IACV and the RPMs would have corrected itself.

This did not happen and my car's RPMs are still erratic. It still shoots to 2,500 RPM at start and drops to 1,500 RPM after a few seconds from start and then has the RPMs bounce from 1,100 to 1,500 unless in gear which will then stay at 1,100.

I have no idea what I did wrong when cleaning out the EGR port and the IACV yesterday. Do I need to replace the IACV, do I need to clean it out again, or is this something else?

001Stunna

Reaction score
You got a leak somewhere, did you replace any gaskets you took off with new ones? Tightened all the bolts down properly and connected all vacuum lines.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I didn't replace the rubber IACV gasket since it still looked and felt good to me. It didn't feel brittle and there were no signs of cracking anywhere on it.

The only reason why I did this though is because the parts store I went to didn't sell the gasket by itself. They only sold it with the IACV assembly which was $90.

As for the vacuum lines, I can double check on that, but I'm pretty sure that I hooked up everything.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
New gasket by itself from Honda is like $4-$5. Check the dealer for that one. Check any possible place for vacuum leaks, sounds like the cause and like it could attribute to the surging.

jwong512

Reaction score
New gasket by itself from Honda is like $4-$5. Check the dealer for that one. Check any possible place for vacuum leaks, sounds like the cause and like it could attribute to the surging.

Actually, IACV gaskets are pretty expensive. They're around $12 or so from the dealership. I would check for any vacuum leaks and reset your ECU just to play it safe. RedlineVtec helped me clean out my TB/IM/IACV and it was idling really weird even after resetting the ECU. It seemed like it was a vacuum leak but eventually we just drove it off. Resetting the ECU definitely plays a big factor as it has to recalibrate the idle position since you cleaned it.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Actually, IACV gaskets are pretty expensive. They're around $12 or so from the dealership. I would check for any vacuum leaks and reset your ECU just to play it safe. RedlineVtec helped me clean out my TB/IM/IACV and it was idling really weird even after resetting the ECU. It seemed like it was a vacuum leak but eventually we just drove it off. Resetting the ECU definitely plays a big factor as it has to recalibrate the idle position since you cleaned it.

When i took mine off the gasket from Honda was $7.75CAD; i opted to use the OEM one vs one i had from RockAuto i had just to play it safe. As for vacuum leaks, unless the OP unplugged any other vacuum hoses it'd be a bit weird for them to be leaking but worth checking anyways. Spray some carb cleaner or tb cleaner around the hoses and see if any certain place causes a difference when sprayed. I've also used soapy water as well.

Last edited:

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I'm going to hit my local dealerships for the gasket. I'll replace it anyways just in case. I won't really have any time to check my car thoroughly until the weekend, so I won't be able to report back what I find until then.

irtiza18

Reaction score
I'm going to hit my local dealerships for the gasket. I'll replace it anyways just in case. I won't really have any time to check my car thoroughly until the weekend, so I won't be able to report back what I find until then.

So... did you find what happened?

Back