Car revs to 5000 then seems to hit rev limiter

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Today on my way home from work i noticed the car wouldn't go past 5000 RPM. I took it easy until I got home and noticed it was low on oil (just barely showing on dip stick) so i put in the rest of what I had which brought it up to where it should be but it still wont rev past 5000 RPM. I think my cat is getting clogged up because my MPG has been in the low 20s and it takes about 15 seconds to do 0-60. Does this sound like the final stages before the cat is completely dead or does it sound like something else. I'm getting the cat replaced Monday but is it safe to drive it until then if I take it easy?

james'99

Reaction score
If it won't rev past 5000, you are probably looking at a VTEC malfunction code which can usually be attributed to a couple things which in most cases falls under the low oil pressure category due to being low on oil. Pull the backup fuse in the passenger fuse box in the car for 30 seconds with the car off and key out and then try again... My experience is that code doesn't clear on its own.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
I scanned it for codes and there aren't any and it still does it now that the oil is in the middle of the 2 marks. And when in drive it seems sluggish between 4000-5000 rpms.

james'99

Reaction score
Are you automatic or manual transmission again? The automatic has a rev limit in park of 5000 RPM now that I think about it. Manuals you can rev all the way out in neutral. But in drive it is extended out to 6250-6500... Have you tried D3 or other drive gears? Try to clear codes regardless of the fact that it has none.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
It's an automatic and does that rev limit also apply when in neutral? Also I have not tried D3 but I will do that when I leave work in a few minutes. Then when I get home I'll pull the fuse and see what that does and I will also see if the timing belt jumped a tooth or two but I don't know why it would. The belt was changed just a little before 200,000 miles

Last edited:

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
My car has had one problem after another lately and I found a 2002 Accord EX coupe about an hour and a half away from where I live. Its an I4 with a manual transmission and 133,000 miles. Has new tires/brakes/oil/clutch, but he doesn't know if/when the timing belt was changed. He said it's rust and oil leak free, but does have an ABS light on. The VIN is 1HGCG315X2A008450 in case anyone has a way to get a Carfax on it for free. I will probably go look at it on Monday. he is asking $3,295 for it. Here's a link:

http://www.columbusimportcars.com/vehicle_pages/1hgcg315x2a008450-2002-honda-accord-coupe-used-coupe-columbus-oh.shtml

what do you think?
I have mixed feelings about this because I really love my car, but you also have to think with the head on your shoulders. This new one is everything I wish mine was. It's Black its a coupe and its a manual and it has about half the mileage.

Fix my 98 :uhoh2: get the 02 that has everything i want

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
My car has had one problem after another lately and I found a 2002 Accord EX coupe about an hour and a half away from where I live. Its an I4 with a manual transmission and 133,000 miles. Has new tires/brakes/oil/clutch, but he doesn't know if/when the timing belt was changed. He said it's rust and oil leak free, but does have an ABS light on. The VIN is 1HGCG315X2A008450 in case anyone has a way to get a Carfax on it for free. I will probably go look at it on Monday. he is asking $3,295 for it. Here's a link:

http://www.columbusimportcars.com/vehicle_pages/1hgcg315x2a008450-2002-honda-accord-coupe-used-coupe-columbus-oh.shtml

what do you think?
I have mixed feelings about this because I really love my car, but you also have to think with the head on your shoulders. This new one is everything I wish mine was. It's Black its a coupe and its a manual and it has about half the mileage.

Fix my 98 :uhoh2: get the 02 that has everything i want

That car looks clean. I'd do the timing belt service and I'm sure the ABS light is just a bad sensor (probably passenger rear). I can tell you how to find out the code if you want.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
That car looks clean. I'd do the timing belt service and I'm sure the ABS light is just a bad sensor (probably passenger rear). I can tell you how to find out the code if you want.

That would be great and I'm hoping to go look at it Monday and hopefully bring it home

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the mechanic about my old car and the first thing that came to his mind was a clogged catalytic converter (I didn't even mention the cat problems to him until after he said that). I'm still probably going to get the 02 accord, but if I can get this one running right then I should be able to get more out of it to help cover the cost of the new one.

james'99

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the mechanic about my old car and the first thing that came to his mind was a clogged catalytic converter (I didn't even mention the cat problems to him until after he said that). I'm still probably going to get the 02 accord, but if I can get this one running right then I should be able to get more out of it to help cover the cost of the new one.

It could also be a bad distributor. But that rev limit applies to neutral as well just so you know.

Back