Young new member here

Devo Dev

Reaction score
Hey guys. A few months ago I bought my first car, a 2001 EX V6. She definitely needs a lot of TLC, but I'm tackling that one step at a time.

I look forward to participating in the forums, although it doesn't seem like the site is busy as it once was. I was born a decade too late!

Accordx

Reaction score
Hey welcome to the site, I guess you could call me a fellow young member lol. Been around cars all my life though and Hondas are such a great platform for a new driver or someone just learning about cars. You'll learn a lot from this site, I definitely have. A lot of these guys know these cars inside and out. Any plans for your Accord?

datechboss101

Reaction score
Welcome! These 6th gens are one of the best cars for beginning drivers. I actually learned alot from this site about my 6th gen.

capsidx

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Hopefully you find what you need here.

Devo Dev

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, everybody.

Hey welcome to the site, I guess you could call me a fellow young member lol. Been around cars all my life though and Hondas are such a great platform for a new driver or someone just learning about cars. You'll learn a lot from this site, I definitely have. A lot of these guys know these cars inside and out. Any plans for your Accord?

Same here, I've been a car guy for as long as I can remember.

As far as plans go, I definitely have a few repairs to take care of. I'm dealing with an oil leak, about a quart per month. I've tried a few things, nothing's changed yet. My next guess is the valve cover gasket, just going to have to find a Saturday to replace it myself. I also know I have a vacuum leak, because I found an unplugged vacuum line once I realized my cruise control didn't work (I probably bumped it while replacing the spark plugs, as it happened at the exact same time). That's tomorrow's project, figuring out where it might go.

I also have an EGR trouble code every time I drive (used to be once every two weeks or so). Cleaning out the EGR valve and intake manifold is also on the TLC list.

Other things are more cosmetic/annoyances. Passenger rear door power lock works when it wants to. Driver seat backing broke, need a "new" one. The car's paint is terrible. Oh, and my instrument cluster lights up once every couple weeks, otherwise it's completely dark. I assume it's a loose connection, but I can't get the top two screws off for the trim. I just taped a flashlight on the dash so that I can see when I drive at night lol.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.
In the Accord Tech section, at the top of the stickies, is a link to the Factory Service Manual. The 2nd to last page has the V6 supplement (312 pages worth) link that should help you out on your "hit list".
As someone above mentioned, these are great cars, and a little maintenance goes a long ways on them. They're great cruisers, and equally great beer run cars. :) I've got a 99 5 speed sedan, and I really like it (it's got that fun to drive factor). My wife has an 00 sedan with a 4cylinder and AT and we use it for road trips (set the cruise to 80 with the AC on, and rack up miles).
While the site isn't as busy as it was 10 years ago (before my time here), there's still plenty of good info hiding in various places on the site.
Again Welcome, and look around, you just might learn something. ;)

Last edited:

Devo Dev

Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.
In the Accord Tech section, at the top of the stickies, is a link to the Factory Service Manual. The 2nd to last page has the V6 supplement (312 pages worth) link that should help you out on your "hit list".
As someone above mentioned, these are great cars, and a little maintenance goes a long ways on them. They're great cruisers, and equally great beer run cars. :) I've got a 99 5 speed sedan, and I really like it (it's got that fun to drive factor). My wife has an 00 sedan with a 4cylinder and AT and we use it for road trips (set the cruise to 80 with the AC on, and rack up miles).
While the site isn't as busy as it was 10 years ago (before my time here), there's still plenty of good info hiding in various places on the site.
Again Welcome, and look around, you just might learn something. ;)

Thanks for showing me the FSM, it'll be invaluable. I have been looking around for one, as my Haynes manual doesn't go into enough detail for me. But I cringed at the $100+ ebay price tags. I've already found the vacuum diagram and figured out where my unplugged line should go, right next to the rear spark plugs. Definitely must've popped it out without realizing. Might as well use the saved time cleaning the intake manifold and EGR port.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Thanks for showing me the FSM, it'll be invaluable. I have been looking around for one, as my Haynes manual doesn't go into enough detail for me. But I cringed at the $100+ ebay price tags. I've already found the vacuum diagram and figured out where my unplugged line should go, right next to the rear spark plugs. Definitely must've popped it out without realizing. Might as well use the saved time cleaning the intake manifold and EGR port.

Yeah, I bought the paper version from Helm inc, as my Haynes left a lot to be desired. I think I only paid 70 for it, but it came as 2 thick paper backed books. I feel I've already gotten my money's worth out of it, although when I dropped the rear subframe out to change the rusty fuel tank, the forums (and Connie) were an even bigger help as I didn't have to remove a bunch of what the book wanted you to remove.

Devo Dev

Reaction score
Yeah, I bought the paper version from Helm inc, as my Haynes left a lot to be desired. I think I only paid 70 for it, but it came as 2 thick paper backed books. I feel I've already gotten my money's worth out of it, although when I dropped the rear subframe out to change the rusty fuel tank, the forums (and Connie) were an even bigger help as I didn't have to remove a bunch of what the book wanted you to remove.

I may still be on the lookout for a paper version if I find it cheap, always good to have a hard copy. Then I'll have the best of both worlds, as nothing beats good ol' CTRL+F lol.

Might as well update while I'm here. I found the vacuum leak within 5 seconds and plugged the tube right in. That fixed my cruise control. Then I took off the intake manifold and EGR valve to clean those passages. The ports were almost completely clogged, glad I got to it.

Thanks again for the welcome guys. I can't wait to spend more time with my Accord.

capsidx

Reaction score
I got a haynes manual and it helps tremendously. I have heard helms are the best but since I swapped the motor twice the haynes manual is almost useless for me. I literally only use it for chassis wiring diagrams and torque specs. Too bad I cant actually get a manual for my motor. That would be great lol.

Back