Popping noise from front suspension, I'm completely stumped

Crono139

Reaction score
My car has been making a popping noise when going over small bumps. The majority of the time, it sounds like the noise is coming from the front passenger side wheelwell but there are times when it sounds like it coming from the center of my front end.

It usually sounds like a joint popping while it may also sound like a lug nut rolling around in the inside of a wheel (if that makes any sense). The car drives/feels fine.

I've already replaced my coilovers (squeaking on both sides after 12 years so that had to be done), upper strut mounts (my coilovers re-use the stock mounts), both lower control arms, both sway bar links, tie rod (passenger side only) and upper control arm (passenger side only).

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

twofast4u

Reaction score
I would probably say try replacing the lower ball joint. I'm doing mine tomorrow morning. Mines clunking like a mad man.

305S0L

Reaction score
Definitely check your ball joints and look for any tears.
I would also look at the axel/CV boots

xci.ed6

Reaction score
sometimes you can use a prybar (for leverage) to lift & move the suspension to check lower balljoints. I'd try to lift the spindle & upper arm so the strut assembly holds the lower arm.

Crono139

Reaction score
I replaced the lower ball joint which ended up fixing the minor popping/clunking noises. However, I still hear the louder popping noise from more towards the center of the front end when going over larger bumps.

This video is a good example of it:

No sound when pushing up and down on the front end when the car is parked and the same goes for when pulling on parts with the car up on the lift.

Back