Interest In Custom Rear Control Arms

Are you interested in custom arms?

• Yes, I am interested.

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • I may be, depending on the price.

Votes: 31 39.2%
  • Not really. What's available right now suits my needs.

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
Hey dudes. Just wanted to throw a poll up to see if any of you would be interested in having high quality, custom arms for the rear camber and toe. I have the means to have it designed, manufactured, and distributed. Some info for you to chew on...

If you've never taken a look at your stock hardware, you may not realize how it works. Essentially there's a cam bolt that an alignment tech will rotate to move a control arm in or out, and as a result your toe will change. While this is okay on a stock car, when you lower the car with more aggressive suspension, a couple things happen. One, the stiffness of the shocks/springs/wheels/tires will translate that force through other parts of the car. Normally on stock suspension the majority of the force is absorbed by the tires and the shocks/springs. On coilovers, the dampers have a much shorter stroke, with stiffer springs, and more aggressive valving. You're probably rolling on aftermarket wheels with lower profile tires. As a result, if you hit a bump hard enough, that bolt WILL move. That's a reason why over time, you need to periodically get an alignment. It's a bolt that has a lopsided washer on the end of it, so it will move out of place eventually, and your alignment will be messed up.

Another thing to point out is that when everything comes from the factory, the arms are at a certain position. When you lower the car, the geometry changes, however the bushings that connect everything begin to bind, since they were tightened down at factory height. This will cause premature wear on them, and you may potentially need to replace them.

I recently went through the trouble of replacing four rear arms that would allow me to adjust the toe/camber through them, and lock out the bolt that connects to the subframe (will post a DIY later). The arms that I bought were decent quality, but the bushings are a part that does concern me. I have been told that with proper installation, it should not pose any major issues, but it would be easy to potentially mess that up. The rubber they come with is softer than stock. I am proposing a better solution to the community, that would essentially allow you to adjust your camber and toe, without needing to worry about the bushings.

Conventional arms have the possibility of having the bushing go bad, like this.

IMG_4401.jpg

This has been documented for brands even like Ingalls, which is a pretty reputable name.

These arms would have spherical bearings/custom rod ends, so there is no chance that a bushing would go bad over time. They would also have a steel connecting rod, and would bolt on the same way a stock arm would. This kit would also include the bolts to lock the toe out, including the washers. The end result should look something like this.

attachment.php

The rod ends would look something like this.

561465.jpg

The most expensive part of this whole thing would be the rod ends, but if these begin to be made in bulk, it could potentially bring the cost down. This is not a group buy, but rather an interest thread. I know people that can make this happen, if the community will support it. My arms were $85 for the set of four, and these would likely be about $150 for a pair. That being said, they would be very high quality, and shiny to boot. So to recap:

• Adjustable Camber
  • Adjustable Toe
  • Spherical Bearings on the Rod Ends
  • Custom Toe Lock Out Kit Included
  • Direct Bolt On Fitment
  • Shiny (Bling Bling!)
  • High Quality
  • Never Worry About Your Toe Changing Again

Also, for those interested in stancing out your car, you should easily be able to achieve like -5 or -6 camber with them, and still have your toe in check.

Who's interested? Give me your feedback; I will be showing the people I know.

Last edited:

Narftastic

Reaction score
I'm down!

But how would these work with a camber kit?

I have -6 in the rear now, I want to go to -7 would these help? Or no?

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
They could potentially help you add more camber. I'm assuming you're using something like the Wicked Tuning camber kit? If so, that is an upper control arm that pulls your wheel in towards the shocks. These are lower control arms that push the bottom out. So essentially with the combo of those two arms, you would have a ton of adjustment. Your alignment tech would not be pleased though lol.

DrOwZee

Reaction score
Im interested. Always down for quality parts. Who will be the manufacturer? Any info/review on their other products. How long would this take IF this acutally becomes a group buy and follows through?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
They could potentially help you add more camber. I'm assuming you're using something like the Wicked Tuning camber kit? If so, that is an upper control arm that pulls your wheel in towards the shocks. These are lower control arms that push the bottom out. So essentially with the combo of those two arms, you would have a ton of adjustment. Your alignment tech would not be pleased though lol.

Yeah, they would be very unhappy. I suggest finding a really good alignment guy, and a nice tip so they make sure your rear track is correct. You could potentially move the rear wheels in & out to get the fender gap perfect, you could also really **** it up.

I think it's a great idea, I just know your average tire shop isn't going to have a damn clue. Most of them only know 'get it in the green' and don't really know what they are adjusting at all. The software on the alignment machine is capable of showing the measurements needed, those pages usually used to check for accident damage, but most of those guys don't know how to get to them or read them.

Most of them are happy to get 1hr pay for a 4-wheel alignment. Getting everything straight with that many adjustments will be 1+ hours in just the back.

Narftastic

Reaction score

Haha ok I understand completely now!

I have a good alignment shop I go to So i'm not worried about that lol

I'm defiantly interested though. Lets make this happen!!!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Kevin, good info & pics. “I may be interested, depending on price” – will be the most chosen option in typical 6GA fashion. :lawl:

Couple questions…

1) The caster that comes into effect in the rear when really slamming these cars, will this address that? Or is that a whole other issue altogether. There have been discussions about that, but it always sounded like it required a crazy amount of custom machining and geometry.

2) I am also wondering, since I don’t do my own alignments, is your average shop like Tire Discounters going to be able to decipher all the aspects of these new arms and do a proper job still? Or would you have to instruct them as to how to work it. Sounds like a specialty shop might be needed.

3) How helpful would these be for someone like me with a somewhat milder drop, at 24.5” ground to fender? Sounds like they more geared toward serious stance.

Last edited:
Back