98 Accord hits top end at 4000rpm

jbisselwhiteac6

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. What is a stand alone unit?
You are onto something here. How do I convert to an OBD1?
This is an enduro car I paid 200 dollars for. I seemed to run good until I took it to the track.
We have raced locally in a 4cyl class with good results. Now we are looking to step it up.
One thing I would like to do is strip every unneeded wire out of one of our cars. To do this I will need to find out witch wires are nessesary, and witch aren't.
I checked the plugs they looked good but replaced them.
Talk to me.
John
This car only get driven on the Oval tracks. Doors welded shut, 6 point cage, 5 point harness,
Window net and racing seat.

I dont mean to get off topic but I would love to see some pics of your track car

98racer

Reaction score
I dont mean to get off topic but I would love to see some pics of your track car

I asked my wife to get a couple pics of our 94 Prelude and our 98 Accord.
The Prelude we ran at Columbus 151 Speedway(Her), and Jefferson Speedway(Me). With yhat car we broke 2 track records and won 2 State Championships. Hopfully Ill have them pics tomarrow.

98racer

Reaction score
I couldnt get the pics to go into a post so I made a photo album.
Let me know what you think. Pics of the 98 Accord to follow.
John
P.S. The race was postponed until 10/31/09 Holloween
I'll post results.

AccordSeats4

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my car running at max rev @ around 3800-4000 rev limiter. After reading what Finch had to say about the oil. I changed mine and that's when I realized I was running pretty low. I probably had about 2 and a half quarts running in there. Once the oil was changed. The car ran as normal and was not redlining @ the 3800-4000rpm I was initially getting. Not sure if that is going to help your situation but if you haven't changed it yet, give it a shot.

98racer

Reaction score
We ran the race on the 31st. First was my wifes race(75 laps on a 1/4 mile paved oval). She started 10th and finished 5th. She had no problems with the car. Next was my race, 150 laps. The car ran fine... until lap 75. At 75 the car wouldnt go over 4000 rpm again. I shifted to 3rd gear(normally we just run in 2nd gear) and tooled around. At about lap112 ther was a red flag. While stoped on the track I tried to see if the car would go over 4000 when in Neutral and it wouldnt. After the race I pulled into the pits and shut it off.
It was off for less than 3seconds and I tried to restart it. It started and to my
Amazment tached up fine over 5000!!
I finished 14th after starting 55th.
John
I did change the plugs and oil(5w30) also removed the thermostat and replaced with a small resistor plate.
Any more ideas?????

Marshall98

Reaction score
your car is in limp mode. have u bottomed out the car at all? of you have i suggest you check your oil pan. a dented oil pan will most likely have a crushed/pinched oil pick up line, thus screwing with your oil pressure. i had the same problem when i did my engine swap on my car. check to make sure your coolent temperature sensor is pluged in also.my accoed was in limp mode when my sensor came unplugged a while back.

finch13

Reaction score
We ran the race on the 31st. First was my wifes race(75 laps on a 1/4 mile paved oval). She started 10th and finished 5th. She had no problems with the car. Next was my race, 150 laps. The car ran fine... until lap 75. At 75 the car wouldnt go over 4000 rpm again. I shifted to 3rd gear(normally we just run in 2nd gear) and tooled around. At about lap112 ther was a red flag. While stoped on the track I tried to see if the car would go over 4000 when in Neutral and it wouldnt. After the race I pulled into the pits and shut it off.
It was off for less than 3seconds and I tried to restart it. It started and to my
Amazment tached up fine over 5000!!
I finished 14th after starting 55th.
John
I did change the plugs and oil(5w30) also removed the thermostat and replaced with a small resistor plate.
Any more ideas?????

Those are the same symptoms I was having with an intermittent VSS signal. It drove normal, but as soon as I got on it in 2nd or 3rd it would hit a cutoff between 4-5k and other times it would hit redline normally.

Back