Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 9/18/13

Flywheel is refinished, and a few new flywheel bolts and shifter bracket bolts are in from the stealership. Will be picking these up today and start to put everything back together this weekend sometime!

hotaccord243

Reaction score

It's so pretty now! :drool:

RefinishedFlywheel_zps4221ceb6.jpg

hotaccord243

Reaction score

So yesterday, got the clutch/flywheel on, transmission on, subframe on, all wiring connected.

What I have left is (1) axle, knuckle/brakes/suspension fork, shifter cables/bracket, turbo/exhaust/ic piping with all new gaskets and i'm good to go.

Here's the clutch on:

IMAG0013_zpsf02892e3.jpg

AFAccord

Reaction score

In for results! Time to get this thing wrapped up man! Curious how you'll like that clutch. Sometimes I think I should have gone with the 6-puck disc to start with.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Thanks! Hopefully get it wrapped up and running again within the next few days! I'm curious the difference in clutches in engagement.... We shall see soon!

AFAccord

Reaction score

Do you have any problems with the master/slave cylinder for the clutch? I swear, the ONLY issue I've had with my whole build is that once I've pressed the clutch in 20-30 times, it starts to lose the ability to fully disengage and becomes harder to shift in/out of gears. I'm planning on replacing the flex part of the line with a braided steel line, and if that doesn't work, just swapping both master and slave cylinders with new OEM units.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

^ Yes, I feel like I have to replace them constantly with new as they give out once a year it seems. For example right now the slave cylinder is stuck out. Can't tell if it's a broken seal, or if i can release the bleed screw on it and push it back it in. Grrr. Even the updated part on the slave cylinder and master cylinder being all steel for improved performance and longevity it seems they still go out constantly.....

Any ideas on the slave cylinder and what to do?

This weekend got everything on the transmission done and hooked up with exception of the slave cylinder issue. Got drivers side ready for wheels, passenger need to fire up the compressor to spin the castle nut tighter on the lower ball joint and tighten axle bolts and wheels will go on tonight.

The only thing left then is the turbo, downpipe/ic piping with new gaskets, and oil return and I'm all done. Should be tonight i'll be back up and running!

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/1/13

Got everything back on and together. Had to drain the clutch system to get the slave cylinder piston to push back in, but oh well. I even got the wheels, bumper, exhaust/turbo setup, oil lines, etc on!

What's left to do:

- Bleed slave/master cylinder (almost finished last night)
- Bleed coolant system
- Misc items may wait (Exhaust repair, battery tie down, adjust e-brake, interior lights) until after I break in the clutch system for about 3-500 miles. Then i'm ready for a tune FINALLY!

I'm hoping to get everything working by Thursday, as Thursdays I drive close to 300 miles that day for work, which would be a good time to break in the clutch!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Can't wait! I'll likely be using the same clutch setup as you. Where can you get your flywheel resurfaced, and how much did you pay? Would it be worth just getting a new fresh one?

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Can't wait! I'll likely be using the same clutch setup as you. Where can you get your flywheel resurfaced, and how much did you pay? Would it be worth just getting a new fresh one?

Me either, i'm hoping this is the last for a bit (or at least till winter projects).

I got it done at CarQuest. Some of their shops have machine shops that do this kind of stuff for a decent price. Cost me $55 even, not a bad deal, especially since I have the discontinued ACT Pro-Lite Flywheel and now the only one available from ACT for our cars is the Xact Flywheel (12.6lbs in lieu of 11.5lbs for Pro-Lite)...

New one will cost you around $200-250, so $55 isn't bad at all. ACT recommends that maximum of .060" be removed from the surface and there is a step DOWN .070". As long as you have enough material to meet that, save yourself ~$200 and have it re-finished.

Back