Need help saving my paint

johnnydinh701

Reaction score
okay im not sure if honda paint sucks or if im using the wrong wax to clean my car, but ever since i started using the mothers caranuba wax, i started to see more and more oxidation spots forming on my car. So whats a good wax to help prevent more oxidation forming (obviously not mothers), or there is no way to prevent it. also what are some ways that i can do to remove the oxidation spots besides geting my car repainted.

nexTOme

Reaction score
have been using maguires, and always have been satisfied....

jbuff

Reaction score
you can try clay barring as well.....it is a complete pain in the ***, but you can REALLY tell the difference....traditional clay bar works better than liquid, but either will help

jess

johnnydinh701

Reaction score
yea i clay bar my car once in awhile since everyone saying that its not good to clay bar a lot, but i still see more oxidation spots.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
most important thing you can do to stop oxidation is not park your car in the sun....

use a cleaner wax or light polish to help remove oxidation that is already there...and then top it with a sealant like Meguiar's NXT...but you gotta keep it out of the sun to make the waxes and sealants last...the sun can take a carnauba wax and defeat its protection within 1 day...and even a sealant is only gonna gain you about a week if left in the sun....

Raymond

Reaction score
NXT 2.0 liquid wax is great for holding up for a while. I live in Miami, FL... where the sun is pretty much out all day every day - most waxes I've used in the past would only last a few weeks at best, after a few car washes it was pretty much gone. NXT 2.0 lasts quite a bit longer, so it would be worth giving a try. It's one of the more expensive over-the-counter waxes but I think it's well worth it, I use it on every car I detail now.

And yes, I'd start with a thorough wash, dry, clay, paint cleaner, and polish to get the surface perfect (or close to it) before you apply the wax.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i use mothers but sometimes mothers requires steps takin before applying... thats y most of their stuff are sold in kits... maybe thats y

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
well the reason why theres oxidation is probably because the paint is old...his car is a 98...by the time you start seeing oxidation...the paint is on it's way to clear coat failure...you can polish out the oxidation using a machine polisher...and put all kinds of waxes over it...but once the clear coat gets old and loses its protective abilities...it's just gonna take alot more work to stay on top of it...

btw....clay barring won't remove oxidation...it will smooth the paint and remove dirt/grime/industrial fallout etc...allowing whatever wax he uses to better bond...but the oxidation needs to be removed with a polish/cleaner(most likely by machine)....

if you show me a pic...i can tell you how far along the paint is....and tell you what you can do...but i can't really guess without a pic cause there are too many other factors...

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
well the reason why theres oxidation is probably because the paint is old...his car is a 98...by the time you start seeing oxidation...the paint is on it's way to clear coat failure...you can polish out the oxidation using a machine polisher...and put all kinds of waxes over it...but once the clear coat gets old and loses its protective abilities...it's just gonna take alot more work to stay on top of it...

btw....clay barring won't remove oxidation...it will smooth the paint and remove dirt/grime/industrial fallout etc...allowing whatever wax he uses to better bond...but the oxidation needs to be removed with a polish/cleaner(most likely by machine)....

if you show me a pic...i can tell you how far along the paint is....and tell you what you can do...but i can't really guess without a pic cause there are too many other factors...

Thats about where my hood is.... where I park at the sun shines on it all day.. once I noticed that it was looking rough it was like a freaking sponge... my whole hood turned to crap in less than a month. Pretty sure my only option is to repaint it since it is not on the out surface.

johnnydinh701

Reaction score
here are some pics finally but it seems like its too late to save my paint

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

yea theres about 5 spots that oxidation is happening
in the 4th picture i used rubbing compound, i guess it helped a little bit

Back