Rattle When Accelerating: catalytic converter

JEER42

Reaction score
Cool thanks, will check Sunday. I had that CEL code before my swap.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
Just got a CEL today. If I had to guess, it must have something to do with my cat...

lltradell

Reaction score
Just got a CEL today. If I had to guess, it must have something to do with my cat...

if its a p0420 code then your cat is toast unless you do the nonfouler trick. Funny thing, my cat is rattling again. i think the back part of the honeycomb in the cat is loose. i checked last night and shield and o2 sensor was on tight.

JEER42

Reaction score
I gutted my cat 2 weeks ago, no more rattle, it was toast.

Last edited:

JEER42

Reaction score
did you get a cel too? was it difficult?

I had the CEL before my swap. I guess the sensor doesn't work now with the new OBD1 ECU, so no CEL now. It was easy to gut the cat. I used a hammer and a long chisel. I have a test pipe ready to go in as a temporary fix.

lltradell

Reaction score
UPdate- so I had rattling a month ago. The filter in the cat was loose. I took out my cat and broke out the loose filter, which was the one in the front end of the cat. And a few days ago i heard rattling again but this was louder/annoying/embarrassing. So today i took out the rear filter from the cat. now its completely gutted. havent drove it yet but it should drive like normal.
Now im afraid i wont pass smog cuz theres no filter at all. Thats when i have to buy a new cat for the car. good thing i got my smog done 6 months ago.

lltradell

Reaction score
Serious info. I gutted my cat converter completely and I got my lost hp back and I think my mpg back. My car is seriously noticeably faster.as for mpg, gas gauge seems to go down slower but ima fill up my tank and see if I get more than 300 per tank.
Fyi-you will need to do the non fouler trick. Which is easy and only 6$. This prevents ur o2 to get bad readings

JEER42

Reaction score
Serious info. I gutted my cat converter completely and I got my lost hp back and I think my mpg back. My car is seriously noticeably faster.as for mpg, gas gauge seems to go down slower but ima fill up my tank and see if I get more than 300 per tank.
Fyi-you will need to do the non fouler trick. Which is easy and only 6$. This prevents ur o2 to get bad readings

I got an extra 35 miles per tank after gutting the cat and can really feel an improvement in performance as well.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
bumpin this thread... new cat came in the mail. got my heatshield off with some liquid wrench but omfg those cat bolts are so rusted lol

Back