Type-S badge returns

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Maybe Acura finally got the message they were making boring uninspired cars that completely disregarded the heritage that once made them great. The question is, will the cars be deserving of it or will they just be badge queens.

The Drive said:
During the North American International Auto Show Monday, Acura announced that the performance-signifying Type-S badge would return to adorn its cars, the expansion of its "A-Spec" sport trim to the rest of its range, and that an exclusive turbocharged V-6 will become commonplace in future Acuras.

The Type S designation was last used by Acura on the 2008 TL Type-S, with the RSX Type-S going out of production just prior. Both cars featured bumped-up power figures, appearance packages, the option (or mandate) of a manual transmission, and other performance enhancements, such as altered suspension, improved brakes, and limited slip differentials. Acura has stated "multiple Acura models" will receive enhancements befitting of the Type-S designation, but no specifics are given.

Acura will spread its A-Spec package over its lineup like butter over toast, and A-Spec options will soon encompass "every new core model in development." At present, the ILX and TLX sedans are the only models on which A-Spec upgrades are offered, but the TLX A-Spec will be upgraded this quarter with a 2.4-liter four-pot option, and the 2019 RDX A-Spec will arrive later this year.

Details on the upcoming turbocharged V-6 are sparse, as Acura has not shared information on its displacement, projected power figures, fuel economy, or even the number of turbochargers it will utilize. Like the A-Spec and Type-S badges, it will be available in multiple Acura products in the future and will be linked with the super handling all-wheel-drive system, which will also be available on the 2019 RDX.

Toyota, homeland rival of Acura's parent company, Honda, is expanding its own enthusiast offerings under its Gazoo Racing marque, which presented a 1,000-horsepower concept car at the Tokyo Auto Salon and is reported to be offering the new Supra in four flavors of performance. The lack of any formal links between Toyota-owned Lexus—one of Acura's chief competitors—and Gazoo Racing may limit competition between Acura's soon-broadened enthusiast lineup and Lexus, however.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/17686/acura-to-revive-the-type-s-badge-introduce-turbocharged-v-6

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
it'd be cool if they offered a car similar to the integra/rsx. but all this a-spec and type-s stuff is going to do is raise already high prices that people interested in the designation can't afford or don't want to pay for. i'm sure it'll be a mild bump in power, a lip kit, and some colored stitching in the end. probably not going to be worth the added cost.

i mean, honda already sells a $34k civic and how many type-r's do you see driving around? i've seen one. anyone that wants one, most likely can't afford it, and anyone who can afford it, probably doesn't want to spend 34k on a civic, or probably wants to move onto something a notch or two up from a civic. i understand the new ctr is also limited too, but i don't think the older people who can afford acuras area really going to care about the a-spec and type-s packages. sure, there will be one here and there, but i would think acura wouldn't offer this type of thing unless it would sell decently.

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
let's start by making cars that ppl actually want to buy... then we can talk abt slapping badges on them :lawl:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
looking at acuras site now. the a-spec kit for the ilx doesn't even include front and rear lips, you have to pay even more extra for that :lawl: :rolleyes: that's not how a-spec used to be.

Accordx

Reaction score
Glad someone at Acura finally figured out that there's some demand for a good old performance car, hopefully they'll actually perform though. Prices are probably gonna be high sadly

datechboss101

Reaction score
Instead of slapping couple badges and adding lip kits, why not bring back the integra, s2000, legend, and prelude, also the manual transmission? I got to say, Acura is a better brand than those of (INSERT WORDS HERE) Toyota.... And speaking of Acura, today, our MDX saved us from getting into an accident caused by a Toyota; however, a Toyota caused an accident few miles later by crashing into another Toyota.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
they r bringing back the s2k.. tht's just abt it tho... as for toyota, those guys are doing a way better job with sporty cars

Accordx

Reaction score
Can't wait to see a concept or something for the new S2K or whatever they decide to call it. I heard it's gonna be another year or two though

capsidx

Reaction score
I feel like the S2k will be underwhelming and very similar to the mx5. It will be like every other car, basically each model in a class starts to look similar to the competitor until basically every convertible, mid sized sedan etc looks the same. This is exciting news though. Although the only acura I ever had a taste for was the 04 tls, the CL that I got my seats from 99 I think and of course the legendary integra. I think companies have been stagnant since the early 00's and are now realizing they've hit peak for regular consumer cars and the only wat to stay alive is to bring back the sports cars everyone loved.

Back