Inexpensive Ball Joints - Put GREASE In Them First!

4DGeorge

Reaction score
Inexpensive Ball Joints - Put GREASE In Them First!

While the title mentions ball joints specifically, I've realized this applies to most everything mechanical I've ever purchased from the cheapanese: Thoroughness of assembly and lubrication are severely lacking!

Case in point, these GES brand ball joints. They look good, feel good, and certainly are very inexpensive. But when I got this crazy idea in my head to double check these before install, my jaw dropped wide open! And in that same moment, I realized I shouldn't be surprised at all. I've had to disassemble, grease, and reassemble everything else I've ever bought. Why not these, too?

I read a short review about these GES parts being crappy and the ball joints becoming extremely stiff within a couple of months. So much so the guy replaced them with a different brand right away.

What's the point of saving money if it results in spending again and doing the work again?

It turns out the trick is to disassemble, liberate, and reassemble. Apply that to everything, even things like cordless drills, and you'll be amazed at how much longer they last.

Yes, it's a pain in a$$, but do yourself a favor and take off those rubber boots and fill up the grease before installing those new ball joints.

I strongly recommend going with the high quality lubricants!

It's the only thing keeping the metal pieces sliding smoothly!

769cf6787aafa59f38ff575f4a8931fc.jpg
82a863a71e06f1c88bafacb79317ec35.jpg
69d7217e5f694fd6a2dcdd8b275af406.jpg
d1d1fd1b81160fe5a5737d322cf733a4.jpg

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I would recommend just buying OEM lower ball joints, they are an inexpensive part.

Back