JDMCG3's N/A H22 Build (Last Update: 03/12/2012)

simon_y

Reaction score
Re: JDMCG3's N/A H22 Build (Last Update: 12/11/2011)

I have the Euro R H22a, so it 11.0:1.

I don't want to drop my compression to much because I don't plan on running to much boost. Also I'll have more torque this way.

jdmcg3

Reaction score

No block guard. Stock block, I just got it honed for my new Mahle Golds 10.5:1 CR Pistons, and Brian Crower Rods.

I have the Euro R H22a, so it 11.0:1.

I don't want to drop my compression to much because I don't plan on running to much boost. Also I'll have more torque this way.

im confused? so which compression are running. and you're running boost at 11.0?? im no boost expert but that doesnt seem all that smart.

simon_y

Reaction score

Noo, the stock Euro R is 11.0:1. The USDM H22 is 10.6:1.

I bought Mahle Golds to lower my compression ratio to 10.5:1.

Also, Many Prelude guy run boost on a stock block and daily drive it with no problems. It's mostly all in the tuning.

Last edited:

jdmcg3

Reaction score

yee my pops just called me saying my throttle body came in today. dont know why it was delivered to his house but whatever.. will post pics once i go pick it up.

i know its already kinda being discussed but i just posted this thread on a few different prelude forums and thought i would copy and paste it over here hoping someone might be able to shed a little more light.

so i know that with any aftermarket piston at 12.0:1 or above should be sleeved. and if youre going to boost the motor. but in my case im going all motor. so heres the question.. will i need to sleeve my block (h22a4; open deck)
or can i just place in a block guard (mainly to prevent wobble at high rpms) at (compression calculator numbers) 12.08:1? i know i already answered my question so far. but heres a little more info and where it gets kinda tricky... ill be running type-s pistons (11.0:1) with my a4 rods. a milled head to 0.040 inchs, and high compression +0.5mm valves. although i was told i should make around 12.3:1 with all that.

so since im running oem internals do i need to sleeve my block? i know that its always a good idea too. but does the money really need to be spent? or can i just go with a block guard that i already have?

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score

not necessarily you can run with the stock sleeves for it was intended for the type of piston you're using. the only difference as you mention is the dome thus compress is slightly higher

I suggest in looking up about using the f23 crankshaft :smash:

EDIT: Double check the sleeves to makes sure the walls have no wear and tear and i assume you carefully observed pistions and the rings upon purchase dont want oil issues in the future

Last edited:

jdmcg3

Reaction score

not necessarily you can run with the stock sleeves for it was intended for the type of piston you're using. the only difference as you mention is the dome thus compress is slightly higher

I suggest in looking up about using the f23 crankshaft :smash:

EDIT: Double check the sleeves to makes sure the walls have no wear and tear and i assume you carefully observed pistions and the rings upon purchase dont want oil issues in the future

yeah im looking into using the f23 crank with f20b rods. im still in the process of doing the homework. think its a good idea? anything i should be aware of? or double check?

bagoon316

Reaction score

f23 crank and f20b rods will need custom pistons. also the rods would be one off also, im sure a company has a mold somewhere, but they arent mass produced. unless youre going to run the stock f20b rod, which would work. didnt they come forged from factory??

youre using a longer stroke and a long rod.

crank = 48.5mm
rods = 145mm
deck = 219.5mm
leaving a piston around 26mm in compression height when the h22/f22/h23 are all around 30-31 i believe.

Last edited:

AFAccord

Reaction score

jdmcg3 said:
so i know that with any aftermarket piston at 12.0:1 or above should be sleeved

Why? You are aware that Mahle Gold pistons work with the H22's FRM sleeves correct? Is there a reason you can not use them?

Might I suggest that you could be over-thinking this build a bit. I know I do the same thing with my build from time to time, but I don't have the plethora of parts available that you do with the H22, so I'm kind of forced into . Why re-invent the wheel? Here's some things that go through my head regarding your build...

- Block guards are best used to control cylinder movement for high-hp/high RPM engines when sleeving or aftermarket blocks are out of your budget. If you plan to run high compression with big cams and make high-rpm power on a budget, why not just use a block guard and call it a day?

- I would double check, triple check, and quadruple check P2V clearance before I milled the head .040" with domed pistons. Mahle's pistons can be had for $400 or less. I would see if they don't make one for your desired compression. If it's as simple as $400 to have a custom piston made to your liking, I would save yourself the headache of trying to shoehorn various square pegs into a round hole.

-Trying to put an F23 crank in an H22 block with F20b rods will put your pistons .2" above the deck, yielding about 25:1 compression if it were even possible.

Hope this helps.

bagoon316

Reaction score

Why? You are aware that Mahle Gold pistons work with the H22's FRM sleeves correct? Is there a reason you can not use them?

Might I suggest that you could be over-thinking this build a bit. I know I do the same thing with my build from time to time, but I don't have the plethora of parts available that you do with the H22, so I'm kind of forced into . Why re-invent the wheel? Here's some things that go through my head regarding your build...

- Block guards are best used to control cylinder movement for high-hp/high RPM engines when sleeving or aftermarket blocks are out of your budget. If you plan to run high compression with big cams and make high-rpm power on a budget, why not just use a block guard and call it a day?

- I would double check, triple check, and quadruple check P2V clearance before I milled the head .040" with domed pistons. Mahle's pistons can be had for $400 or less. I would see if they don't make one for your desired compression. If it's as simple as $400 to have a custom piston made to your liking, I would save yourself the headache of trying to shoehorn various square pegs into a round hole.

-Trying to put an F23 crank in an H22 block with F20b rods will put your pistons .2" above the deck, yielding about 25:1 compression if it were even possible.

Hope this helps.

Pretty much what I said, a custom piston at 26mm compression height. since any off the shelf piston for an h23 or h22 will be 4.5 or 5mm above the deck. or your .2" after the conversion. even with a thick *** head gasket, after he mills the head that much, i think he'll have p2v clearances like stated. especially if he's gonna run beefy cams.

bagoon316

Reaction score

also, dont FRM sleeves have a better cooling affect that the standard honda sleeve. i mean honda had to have had a reason to run them in the nsx.

Back