Accordman722's G23 Build.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Accorman722's G23 Build.

The problem with H22's and boost is the fact that their sleeves are FRM. That and the H22s inherently have a higher compression ratio. Between the two of those even 10psi on a smaller turbo will not last very long. The biggest problem is that forged aftermarket pistons will not seal properly in an FRM sleeve...so lowering compression and strengthening the internals is not an option.

I have heard, but do not have experience myself, that the Mahle FRM compatible pistons will work in FRM sleeves. They say it has a special skirt coating that allows it to be functional in the sleeve. Like all piston coatings, it will not last super long. Here is a link to the pistons.
http://www.inlinefour.com/mahle-motorsports-forged-racing-pistons.html

Hopefully Darksideaccord chimes in to clear this up. I would not think it has cooling issues, since the coolant channels are around the cylinder and the f23s are open deck (i.e even if it didn't line up exactly with the passages, all the passages would still get coolant).

That is true the FRM sleeves are a PITA to get to seal up especially with new lower compression pistons. It's even harder I have heard to have it re-sleeved as some companies won't even touch them.

I am almost positive that the same goes with the f23a4 motor of ours that those sleeves are not cast iron and have the same issues but the f23a1 does not. When I was building mine I found out that you basically can't resleeve the f23a4 due to this same issue or similar as the H22.... That, along with an open to deck block and a head designed for a closed deck block.

I've heard as far as mating the Fseries block with an H head they bolt directly up no problem, but the kicker is in the coolant channels and it takes a bit of leg work to either modify to get them to line up and so forth and some have to be plugged (from what I read a LONG time ago, but could be wrong as I am going off of memory from a few years back).... I know either way it cools it's just trying to improve that cooling for better flow is a bit tricky.

I have also heard about the MAHLE FRM pistons as well, and I believe people are having much better luck with those than anything else. It's a great solution to what little options you have for that too.

akoutmos

Reaction score

I've heard as far as mating the Fseries block with an H head they bolt directly up no problem, but the kicker is in the coolant channels and it takes a bit of leg work to either modify to get them to line up and so forth and some have to be plugged (from what I read a LONG time ago, but could be wrong as I am going off of memory from a few years back).... I know either way it cools it's just trying to improve that cooling for better flow is a bit tricky.

Haven't heard anything about coolant channels. I thought it was just the oil drain back ports. The H22 head has 8 while the F block only has 6. You gotta plug two of those holes in the H head.

I am almost positive that the same goes with the f23a4 motor of ours that those sleeves are not cast iron and have the same issues but the f23a1 does not. When I was building mine I found out that you basically can't resleeve the f23a4 due to this same issue or similar as the H22.... That, along with an open to deck block and a head designed for a closed deck block.

I thought all the F series blocks were of more or less the same design, minus the F20B (all cast iron blocks, open deck, iron sleeves, no oil squirters). I thought the differences were in the heads??

hotaccord243

Reaction score

That's what I was thinking, plugging the 2 coolant channels and lining up the OIL drain back ports. Again, I was looking into this years ago but never went ahead with the project... so going off of memory.

There is a difference in the heads, and all the motors are interchangable more or less, however there is a difference in the make up of the sleeves installed on the f23a4 and ERLperformance when sleeving my bottom end F23 told me they would not accept an F23a4 due to the difficulty of boring out and removing the sleeves and cylinder walls due to their construction in comparison to the f23a1. The f23a1 is much easier to bore out cylinder walls and sleeve inserts due to them being cast iron.

Going off memory I don't remember what type of sleeves the f23a4 has. I cannot find the information for the life of me but will keep looking around. Basically it is the physical make up of the sleeve itself which makes it very difficult to sleeve.

Accordman722

Reaction score

Thank you guys so much. I really appreciate it. Ill take every word that's been said and go over all of it. This build is gonna be a fully built g23 with itbs and an H Series with lsd with the F series 5 gear. Gonna be a good build. Gathering more parts this Saturday :)

Ocho

Reaction score

im doing a g23 as well, buying a fully rebuilt f23 bottom end with 86.5 bore done to it with balance shaft eliminator kit already installed and i have the fully assembled h22 head for it already minus the dizzy lol. but have the harness!

Accordman722

Reaction score

im doing a g23 as well, buying a fully rebuilt f23 bottom end with 86.5 bore done to it with balance shaft eliminator kit already installed and i have the fully assembled h22 head for it already minus the dizzy lol. but have the harness!

What harness ? I thought you could use the f23 harness ?

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score

Great choice man. Good luck with your build. I definetely will be keeping an eye on this. I think you made a smart choice when you switched to a 4cyl engine and got rid of the whole v6-I4 transplant.

:thumbup:

Accordman722

Reaction score

Great choice man. Good luck with your build. I definetely will be keeping an eye on this. I think you made a smart choice when you switched to a 4cyl engine and got rid of the whole v6-I4 transplant.

:thumbup:

Thanks matt! I got a lot of heat when I said I wasn't doing the jswap anymore lol but I'm going to college soon and id rather save up the money and build a g23 because its really cheap and easy to do. Plus you get 200whp just after the head swap and k20 pistons

Back