Center console replacement

gokblok

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Did some searching, couldn't come up with anything selective enough to narrow the results to a small number, so if you guys know of a link to a thread, I'm sorry.

At any rate, I've been thinking of taking out my stock center console, and building a new one, both because I've got some pieces broken, and I think it'd be pretty dope to use the center kick panel area to try and fab up some speaker pods, rather than using the doors. Does anybody have any experience with trying to build a new console? Just curious . . .

Thanks

-A

ActNow

Reaction score
No threads come to mind. You may be the first to attempt it. The other thing you must consider is space is limited in that area.

gokblok

Reaction score
Uh, not really lol. My home computer's busted so I'm using the work internet (don't tell anybody lol). So I can't really snap a pic and upload it. I'm talking about the whole unit though (2000 coupe). The gear shift housing/cupholder area, cubby under the climate control, and the console housing between the seats with the flip-up lid is all one piece, and that's what I'm referring to. The area I'm thinking about doing the speaker pods is underneath the dash, basically exactly opposite where the speakers are mounted in the doors. If that makes any sense.

lashlee

Reaction score
I modded the front pocket to hold a single 6.5" speaker. I initially did it with an RF 6.5" sub in mind but it didn't work that well. I eventually put a Quart 6.5" coax in there and wired it up as a center channel from the processor. It worked much better when it came to movies but it dragged down the center image in terms of SQ. Building a custom console can be cool but may look out of place if you don't tie it into the rest of the interior.

gokblok

Reaction score
I modded the front pocket to hold a single 6.5" speaker. I initially did it with an RF 6.5" sub in mind but it didn't work that well. I eventually put a Quart 6.5" coax in there and wired it up as a center channel from the processor. It worked much better when it came to movies but it dragged down the center image in terms of SQ. Building a custom console can be cool but may look out of place if you don't tie it into the rest of the interior.

Front pocket? Is that what I keep calling the "cubby" directly underneath the climate control area? I'm talking about using the sides of that area, closer to the feet area.

I think soundstage would be improved, or at least maintained by placement closer to the headunit, if it works like I see it in my head.

And yeah, I can totally see a homegrown center console looking out of place. This would be part of an interior overhaul though--including possibly removing the rear seats and fiberglassing sub enclosures where the bench is, and an amp rack where the backs are.

Back