Weird idle issues

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Just to check off another possibility, next time you have the scanner plugged in, check the live data of the coolant temp sensor and the loop conditions. Sometimes if the ECT sensor goes bad it could keep the car in open loop and could cause rich parameters.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
I didn't actually disconnect the power, but I hit the clear codes button on my phone which I discovered also clears the fuel trims, but I will try disconnecting the battery before I head to work tonight. Also my scanner shows what seems to be reasonable numbers for the coolant temp. I don't remember exactly what it was but I think it was around 170-190 ish and it is going into open loop. Also I have not swapped O2 sensors yet because I need to find a day when my friend who has an O2 sensor socket can come help. One thing I did notice regarding the O2 readings and fuel trims is that when the O2 sensor is puting out about 0.04 volts the fuel trim goes way negative and when its up around 0.89 volts the fuel trim is around 3-7% which seems to be the opposite of what you said earlier about 0.4 to 0.8 volts being rich. The O2 sensor readings usually hang out around 0.04-0.11 volts then spike up to 0.7-0.9 volts then drop right back to 0.04 and hang out there for a while before momentarily spiking back up.

Last edited:

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
I tried swapping the O2 sensors between the cars. I bought a 7/8" O2 sensor socket at advanced auto and I managed to get the sensor out of my old car without any issues, but the sensor on the new car is stuck and it doesn't help that it's 22mm not 7/8" (At least I think it is). At this point I'm gonna throw in the towel and take it to the mechanic, but first I need to replace a few things on my other car so I will have one to drive while the new car is in the shop. This is going to be expensive because it needs the timing belt and power steering belt replaced, this issue needs fixed and it needs the clutch problem solved.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Thanks and at this point I'm just concerned with how much this is going to cost me. I figured when I bought it that it would just be a matter of cleaning the throttle body and IACV and get the timing belt replaced. Guess I was wrong.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but I figured I would give you guys an update in case anyone has a similar problem. My mechanic found a small piece of metal stuck in the EGR valve that was holding it open and once he cleaned that out the car started running smoothly, but the car still hesitates when revving it up and still dies intermittently. Almost like it's being starved of fuel. The fuel pump is running and it idles perfectly so I'm thinking maybe a fuel filter even though they rarely need replaced.

Also Does anyone know if you can replace the fuel filter without changing the pump or do you have to replace the entire assembly?

Last edited:
Back