Second Wheel Bearing On 99 Accord

Reaction score
So in August 2015, I did the driver front wheel bearing with a Honda bearing. I changed the bearing and had the shop press in the new one. When the mechanic pressed in the new bearing, he pressed along the center race, not sure if this caused an issue but I know the outer is the one to be used. It was not packed with grease as I saw grease packed in already so I assume Honda(Koyo) put enough.

I changed the oil yesterday and while up, I did a check and the wheel is shaking again. It has 9-3 minimal movement but none 6-12. I have about 15,000 miles on this bearing, what could cause it to be bad?

I held the wheel, pushed the tie rod in and out and had no play and the steering does not feel as if it has excessive play.

Can the bearing be bad this quickly?

Gradfien

Reaction score
First of all the bearing could be bad already if it was put in wrong. However I have never yet seen a wheel brearing that is only loose on one axis, they are usually loose all the way around.

Sometimes the steering rack has a little play but its not a big deal. Double check the other side to be sure. There is also an inner tie rod that can go bad but i've only seen one in three years of about three inspections a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Pulled the wheel off. Took the tie rod off the spindle and the outer has no play but when I held the whole tie rod and pushed in and out from the rack, that is where the play is.

What are you all doing for the inner tie rod brands, MOOG? I will replace both, inner and outer at the same time.

dawg316

Reaction score
moog makes good parts. some time you can get a beck arnely part that is a OEM japanese built part but rebranded for cheaper than honda or moog. when at the part store be shure to check the place of manufacture, if its made in japan then get it, if not get a moog and you will be happy

Connie

Reaction score
Pulled the wheel off. Took the tie rod off the spindle and the outer has no play but when I held the whole tie rod and pushed in and out from the rack, that is where the play is.

What are you all doing for the inner tie rod brands, MOOG? I will replace both, inner and outer at the same time.

Are you sure it's the inner and not the rack itself?
Mine has the same problem, but much worse. My play is inside the rack (474k km on it now), though.

Back