DIY: Installing a Rearview Camera

crossfire

Reaction score
is it nighvision too?
It has very good night performance. It's doesn't use infrared LEDs if that's what you're asking. Simple rule is that CMOS camera use the IR LEDs and CCDs don't because CCDs have better low light performance.

Last edited:

Nismode

Reaction score
I've always had this idea to do mine this way, but never thought of doing a diy or using the plexi. Thanks!

crossfire

Reaction score
If you made a few I bet you'd be able to sell it here :p Also how much did the camera cost?
Camera ran me $95 bucks after tax. I'd be willing to make some if enough people show the interest. I don't know how much it's worth to other people either. It would be a good way to use up the plexi I have sitting around. I even got some UV reactive plexi that glows when exposed to UV light

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
i saw online they have reverse camersa with a base made to replace the light for accords and crx. Very good write up, ill put this on my to-do list

crossfire

Reaction score
i saw online they have reverse camersa with a base made to replace the light for accords and crx. Very good write up, ill put this on my to-do list
I actually tried that one. It was garbage. There's a reason it's only $30. The angle isn't adjustable and where it points can't see the bumper. The camera had poor low light performance because it was a CMOS camera without the IR LEDs all the other ones have. So you'll just see a black screen at night. When I got mine I even had to do some cutting to get it to fit. I ended up returning it. I tried 3 cameras before finally buying a CCD camera. I wouldn't waste your time trying it unless you want to pack IR LEDs in your taillights to illuminate the rear at night.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
I actually tried that one. It was garbage. There's a reason it's only $30. The angle isn't adjustable and where it points can't see the bumper. The camera had poor low light performance because it was a CMOS camera without the IR LEDs all the other ones have. So you'll just see a black screen at night. When I got mine I even had to do some cutting to get it to fit. I ended up returning it. I tried 3 cameras before finally buying a CCD camera. I wouldn't waste your time trying it unless you want to pack IR LEDs in your taillights to illuminate the rear at night.

thatnks, and im going to do your write up. where did you get the camera and what head unit do you have?

crossfire

Reaction score
how much was plexi
It's not too expensive $20 for a 48cm square piece.
I think I got my plexi from here I got it a long time ago so I don't remember very well:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=130_132&zenid=d532fd73b63dd5df9d2d44857279584c

I don't really like that store though they rob you on shipping costs. But, you should check out eBay or online computer stores (not like newegg or tigerdirect though they won't have it) to save some money.

Back